Thread: Memory for i7 930 / ASUS P6X58D Premium

Memory for i7 930 / ASUS P6X58D Premium

I have a new setup of Core i7 930 processor on Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard. I got this board recently as I got recommendation for this for building up a gaming pc. I am confused with the ram here. Which is the best ram for this. I am also not aware about the entire specification of this motherboard. What you recommend me for RAM. Also how much GPU does this board supports on SLI or Crossfire.

Re: Memory for i7 930 / ASUS P6X58D Premium

The new motherboard from Asus platform for Intel Core i7, the Premium P6W58D announced long time before. It is a nice motherboard and quiet recommended for the new pc support. This motherboard supports up to 24GB of DDR3 memory, the Tri SLI and CrossfireX. Finally she also manages the 6 Gbps SATA III and 3.00 with two USB ports for each. So you can go for any DDR3 RAM for the same.

Asus P6X58D Premium is an extreme motherboard with newest performance. It supports the Intel socket 1366 on this motherboard provides management SLI AND Crossfire. With 6-Port S-ATA and management of RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10, the card ensures reliability and performance. The rest of the connections are still very rich with 8 USB 2.0 ports, two Gigabit Ethernet ports, two digital audio outputs (optical and coaxial) and a Firewire port.

The motherboard will support a DDR3 Ram and you can choose any of it. The motherboard is equipped with new technology Express Gate, the UPR and the Drive Xpert to provide users a maximum benefit. I have some RAM suggestion for you. You can go for Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit DDR3, Corsair XMS3 6GB Kit DDR3 PC3-12800 or 4GB G. Skill NQ DDR3 PC3-12800 Kit. There are lot more models which support this board.

This board comes with Express Gate technology. This allows you to access many functions in just 5 seconds from the booting of system thanks to a micro-integrated operating system. Surf the Internet, raise your e-mails or chat on Skype or MSN without even needing to start Windows. A handy feature in the final minute to check the schedules. The Express Gate can also be very useful when formatting, to get the latest drivers before re-installation.

The board will work on any DDR3 RAM support. Like Corsair Dominator DDR3 4GB is a nice option for the same. The ram is quite fast and reliabel also. This is a high end motherboard so I will recommend you to use a high frequency ram. supports the new standard USB 3.0 and SATA III which gives you a 6 GB per second transfer rate. The blue marked USB 3.0 ports attached to an NEC controller.

It has some three PCI Express 2.0 slots allow the use of CrossfireX and SLI, but there are also still one PCI Express x1 slot and two legacy PCI slots found on the board. A 16-phase power supply to provide stability in extreme overclocking. Try Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9 RAM which will give you a 1600 Mhz support on the board. The ram is bit costly but very effective.

will corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 240-pin DIMM DDR3 ram work with the motherboard? Its 1333 I dont see it on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothyp View Post
    will corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 240-pin DIMM DDR3 ram work with the motherboard? Its 1333 I dont see it on the list.
    Yes this board ASUS P6X58D Premium supports the corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 240-pin DIMM DDR3 ram. Check the memory specifications for this board below:

6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Triple channel memory architecture
    Supports IntelĀ® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.

Custom built: Intel I7-980X,
    Mobo Asus p6X58D Premium
    12GB of DDR3 memory Kingston 2X6
    2 HD's WD Raptor 300GB Drive C:\boot drive with Windows7 professional 64Bit
    WD 1TB 7200rpm Drive F:programs and data
    Running Flight simulator X and supporting programs
    Drive F:\ loaded with FS9 flight simulator and supporting programs
    Video:Galaxy GTX480 1536mb DDR5, PCI-Express

Computer was working great with no problems for 56 days...Then several problems developed. I don't know if they were related or not...I do know that flight simulator X and supporting programs called REX2 weather graphics and FS commander was heating up the video card with two monitors connected to the DVI ports...Some days the computer was on for 12 or more hours...Usually, I would shut it down at night...Couple of nights I would run a defrag program and let the software turn off the computer.
    One day I ran FS9 off the F:\ drive...The program crashed...Sometime after that when attempting to come out of the sleep mode, it acted strange, I don't remember if I did a hard or soft boot...Anyway, the BSOD appeared..The first time in 56 days...I noticed the message was simple, It was looking for the boot drive..I opened BIOS and found the C:\ drive had disappeared in the boot sequence...I changed it from F:\ back to C:\ drive (the boot drive). I was able to access Windows7. However, about 30 minutes later the BSOD reappear with another message:
    Stop:0X00000124 (0X0000000000000000,0XFFFFFA800A2B1028, I couldn't copy the last one, but it ended with 30005

Computer has been back in the shop for 7 days. The A+Tech ran test on the CPU-Good, Memory-Good, Hard drives-good...motherboard he only said something showed up and they were going to replace the motherboard...What could go wrong with a new motherboard after 56 days of use? Anyway, I am waiting for a return call...He is having to re-install windows7 and I requested he installed the HD in AHCI instead of IDE the way he had the system configured the first time for the 2 Sata drives...His remark was that running IDE configuration was sometimes more stable than AHCI...still waiting...Anyone have any ideas what caused this problem...One of my friends thinks maybe some type of Virus got into the system..

Hi Bob adams,
    The error codes usually refer probably to your graphics card, if it is PCI or PCI-E. Ensure your drivers are the most up-do-date. If you have an NVidia card, you can find Windows 7 drivers here. Most of the STOP 0x124 errors are hardware related. They are errors that are reported to Windows by the processor (in most cases) and use the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA) reporting format. As such, the information is a bit limited. There is also a PCI-bus hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/952681/en-us

You might be correct about the STOP 0X124 error,however, I took the machine back to Fry's A+TECH. He tested CPU,Memory, and video card, HD' and found all good...He stated there was a question about the MOBO..So he replaced the Asus P6X58D board...As of this morning after 7 days haven't heard anything...Before I took the machine back to Fry's, I wrote Iolo System Mechanic Professional Tech because I had installed their software and found the problems started developing...He wrote the following response..I am leaving this problem out in the general community for information and see if others have experienced this problem...Bob adams

System Mechanic does not change BIOS settings. From your description of events
    (and my own experience with a Asus P6T which also uses the X58 chipset), I would
    first make sure the hard drives are connected directly to the Intel ICH10
    southbridge and NOT to the SATA6 connections which run through an on-board
    third-party chip. Neither of your hard drives are SATA6 so there's no reason to
    use the SATA6 connections for them.

Setting the SATA drives in IDE mode reduces the chance of issues with AHCI
    support by the hardware. The tradeoff is that some of the advanced features of
    SATA are disabled. It was not a "mistake" on the tech's part to use that
    setting, but rather a conservative setting for reliability. Assuming those
    connections are correct (with the boot drive on SATA1 & the other drive on SATA
    2 or 3), check the Asus website to see if they have a newer BIOS than what is
    presently on the motherboard. (end of quote)

As you see the builder of the equipment, Fry's electronics, Used drive C:\ as the boot drive in IDE boot configuration. There are so many events that took place at the time, I can't really isolate the problem unless it happen to be something wrong with the MOBO as the tech at Fry's stated...I will pass along his results after I get the machine back...

Follow up to my last post...The only thing the tech would tell me is that there was a question about the Motherboard...Every other components on the board, CPU, memory, Video card checked out OK...He wouldn't tell me "what the question" was so I am still in the dark...hee hee...
    I did notice that he got the correct boot sequence changed to make drive C:\ in the first order to boot which contains Windows 7 and supporting files. Drive C:\ is the WD Raptor..the second order in the boot sequence is the DVD drive...Drive F:\ appears in the list of available hard drives, but is not in the boot sequence...It appears he ran sometime of program to get drive C:\working, but all my programs and files I had on drive F:\ were wiped off except the remains of this program...That's all for now...At least so far everything appears to be working. In the end, the motherboard was replaced "free" of charge...That's the best part until I have to do it again, then I am on along....