Thread: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Problem with 54G

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Problem with 54G

I do not know if there are IDE controller problem or not. Since in the bios recognizes the floppy drive and DVD drive, but both do not work, regardless of CD or DVD. The drives are both on my old Mobo very well. I am using the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Problem with 54G. I think that there should be some problem with the motherboard. But since, I am not sure about it, I thought to take some advice from you people.!! Also please tell me some more details about my motherboard which will help me in making decision to change that old mobo.

Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Problem with 54G

After I did some time ago wrote a report on a socket 939 board, which, however, was based on the VIA - chipset, I had the opportunity to test a board with nForce 3 chipset. In the tested board is the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with wireless card. The box in which the slumbering board is black and made more clear. On the flip side, all the important information you would like to know, however, MSI is silent on the packaging as to whether the board is compatible with Dual Core - CPU's. However, here a view to helping the home page to get certainty. The lid of the packaging is double there, where you can open it by Velcro and is replaced by a pictorial representation of the possibilities of the board. Once you open the box then a round cable immediately jump into the eye. These are decorated in red and carrying the MSI logo. However, only a floppy and a HDD cable are included, so if you have more than one hard drive and a 5 1 / 2 "drive in the computer, it must still avoid its own cable. Otherwise, everything else is included, what you need to get started . part of the team were: 2 sATA - Cable in the normal track, wireless card for PCI with matching antenna adapter 4pin to SATA - Power, Slot bracket for two extra USB - ports and software is a driver and utilities CD and a diskette with drivers for the SATA controller. It is this disk is important for users who want to put their OS on a SATA hard drive. The driver for it, must either be installed during the installation diskette was pretty easy work. I hope that this will help you to sort out your problem.

Then there is one more Test Report Issue baptized in delivery, where you can find tables with different hardware, have been tested with the board. is unfortunate that the list of graphics cards do not just enough to date and only until the 5xxx series and / or 9xxxx of the respective competitors. There is no recent list it on the Internet. But that was not all, still comes to light in an art poster, will be viewed on the board and key jumpers and pins will be explained. And then I found something interesting. Instead a suitable I / O - Shields I found one that was using older Compaq PC's. This from a millimeter thick steel punched I wanted / O Shield not so very fit. Neither were the punched points arranged so that they over the outputs received, nor had enough of it. And even if we had managed to get the shield on the connectors, which is definitely impossible, we would have the Shield can not install because it fits in a normal ATX case.

Since I do not have them be deterred, I found at the bottom of the box then the board. Well protected by cardboard, anti-static packaging and insulation material. Noticeable was the black PCB and the Orange PCI slot, which is called by MSI Communication Slot. The design is tidy, but are weak in some areas to criticize. Sun fan of the nForce chipset sits so close to the lever of the AGP slot, that this can be shared during installation only with skillful hands. The nForce typical near two SATA ports on the CPU socket does not really like it because the cable can thus interfere with the airflow of the cooler.

Once all the cables were plugged in on it and everything, I turned on the computer. And it worked. It was the first time that a board with me to work right away and I have already built some boards. Also made to continue operations no problems. All voltages remain stable. The display of the V-core varies though, but brought a re-measuring the knowledge that this happened by selection error. Strengthened by this experience, I rummaged through my BIOS settings and found all I needed. Positive is to be mentioned here that there is a wealth of MOD - Bios' that are adapted for many things, such as for overclocking's.

I was surprised after I had set the main settings. Suddenly needed my whole CPU to 0.1 volts less at the same time to remain stable compared to the Asus board. And the MSI board untervoltet even. This is how anyone can think of who has studied the matter heard a big advantage over the Asus board, because 0.1 volts at little in the area of microelectronics, but worlds. A downer is, however, the memory voltage. Like the Asus board that offers only a maximum voltage of 2.85 volts to get enough for the ambitious attempts to memory to the border. After seeing your problem, I would like to recommend you to show your mobo to service center, otherwise the best option would be to change the motherboard.

As all others, also provides MSI with special features for his board, but MSI brings them under a dedicated chip that is called CoreCell. What is immediately striking about the speed, be read with the temperatures. No more laziness, but quasi-real time. What struck me though as I compared the temperatures with those of the Asus boards, was an extreme difference. Thus, the temperatures at the same time and same voltage are different up to 8 degrees.

The extent to which board can display the correct value to say I did not, however, were the values of the MSI low. Furthermore, the chip provides many opportunities umd ready to use the system effectively. Thus, the clock frequency is adjusted to the respective load and also on the standard clock out. How it all works in detail is not to be subject of this report, there was only so much said about it; operation does, however, one must not expect miracles. Stable, the automatic overclocking, which is offered. Thus, even laymen can get more power from the system.

So far I have not identified any problems with the board that would have prompted me to return it. However, the nVidia firewall is only suitable to turn it off. A few features can be leveraged for the Internet useful and it is not easy to use. The offers onboard sound a good sound and not excessive, the CPU under load. The stability is clearly a positive feature of this board, as well as performed at heights clock rates outside of any specification, the Board his duties without complaint, what there is to be observed is found in many forums on the Internet. Especially the support of MSI's site and the user is outstanding. However, seems to have put the nVidia chipset and the old dog does not develop its own drivers more for nForce3 systems.

Since then only remains to handle the nForce4 drivers that run, however, provided you installed the driver for AGP cards (Gart - driver). Especially those who come here want to overclock their CPU to their costs and also the normal user is given an excellent performance by the hand. From me, there is a buy rating, but you should consider before buying, whether a shift to PCI - Express is not worthwhile because of future-proof would be.

The design is tidy, but are weak in some areas to criticize. Sun fan of the nForce chipset sits so close to the lever of the AGP slot, that this can be shared during installation only with skillful hands. The nForce typical near two SATA ports on the CPU socket does not really like it because the cable can thus interfere with the airflow of the cooler. And then there are the IDE connectors. Why is this on a pile and then have to lie adjacent to the power connector is not clear to me and was still a mystery to me as I tried everything to be provided with cables. Other problems will be with large coolers. About the 7700 series by Zalman. The base is too close to the AGP slot.