Thread: Memory speed for a Intel Core i7 processor

Memory speed for a Intel Core i7 processor

I am having a small query which i think can be solved here. Actually i am having Intel Core i7 940 processor and i am planing to buy a DDR3 RAM for the same. But i am confused between the Memory speed. Does it matter for the RAM? And if its matter then please let me know which one to buy. A help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Memory speed for a Intel Core i7 processor

Yes it is really matter for the performance of the processor. Every processor have set upto some frequency to work with it. If you are not having the enough frequency then it might be possible that you can get the better performance with the same. Then frequency for your processor i.e. Intel Core i7 is 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz. Thats it!!!!!!

Yes that's true about the Memory frequency which above reply is representing. You can choose the RAM which is having the ability to run with the 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz. It can also downclocked with the other processor to use with. I will prefer you to use the Kingston RAM of the same frequency which will help you for same.

These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1066 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz. When using an Intel Core i7 processor Extreme Edition on an Intel Desktop Board DX58SO, system memory will default to 1066 MHz. To know more about this click here.

I have gone through the detail that you have given me regarding the same but but i am having one more query regarding the same. I wanted to know about the Voltage limitation of the processor which i am using i.e. Intel Core i7 processor. If you can then please let me know about this also. Waiting or reply.

The voltage limitation set for the Intel Core i7 is Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. If the voltage is more then this or the less one then this might be possible that the Intel processor will die early or got damaged. So checked whether the same is matching up with the processor of yours or not.

If all the above replies are not working for you then let me tell you that you can take help of the Intel regarding the query of your. Just go to the Intel community and ask the question regarding the same which you are looking for. Intel expert are there to help you with any of the issue regarding the product of the Intel.