Thread: Does all I7-620m has KVM feature?

Does all I7-620m has KVM feature?

I wanted to use hardware virtualization on my Vaio FZ31Z, so I installed KVM, but when I tried to load the module, I got a nice error saying that the feature was disabled in the bios with I7-620 M processor. The mania is that I can’t enable the KVM characteristic in Bios (Ctrl-P). I have all the other AMT characteristic, but not the KVM. I just want to know the logic of KVM characteristic in BIOS. So I am expecting your help in providing some information about the KVM.!! Any other information related to the topic would be appreciable.
    Last edited by Dewei; 29-06-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Re: Does all I7-620m has KVM feature?

Here is the list of computers that support this process. To ensure that your computer supports this procedure, it should have a BIOS Phoenix brand this list and the processor must also support VT.
    (Sony model) (Bios) (Register to change)
    • VGN-AR21 R200J6 reg 0195
    • VGN-027F reg AR51SU R1050J8
    • VGN-AR670 R1050J8 027F reg
    • SZ R0112N0 reg 0354
    • SZ R0101S5 reg 02F1
    • VGN-SZ1XP N / A reg 0399
    • VGN-SZ370 R0096N0 reg 0399
    • VGN-FE890 R0200J3 reg 0195
    • VGN-TZ130N R0052N7 reg 0363
    • VGN-FZ180E R0050J7 reg 02D3
    • VGN-02D3 FZ11ZR R0050J7 reg
    • VGN-02D0 FZ31M R2110J7 reg
    • VGN-02D0 FZ31Z R2110J7 reg
    • VGN-FZ21M N / A reg 02CD
    • VGN-FZ290 N / A reg 02CD
    • VGN-FZ21Z R1120J7 reg 02CD
    • VGN-FZ290E R1120J7 reg 02CD
    • VGN-FZ280E R1120J7 reg 02CD
    • VGN-FZ91NS R1120J7 reg 02CD

If you are using an Linux or Ubuntu, then to find your BIOS, type the following command in a terminal :
    Code:
     sudo dmidecode
    At the beginning of the output of this command, you get something like-this :
    Code:
    BIOS Information
         Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
         Version: R2110J7
    R2110J7 is the BIOS version number, as you can see, my BIOS is well supported (my laptop is a Z FZ31 FZ31 and not a million but they have in common the BIOS).

KVM is a full virtualization solution based on hardware virtualization technologies. Its main developer is Avi Kivity. She is staying for now in the testing branch (-mm) kernel and its development is very active. Initially supported only KVM technology Intel VT-x (Virtual Technology) for x86. Since then, architecture has been redesigned to extract the generic part of the technology underlying hardware. Thus, the original module kvm.ko finds himself being cut into three modules: kvm.ko, kvm-kvm-amd.ko intel.ko and (it is now that since November 28 and provides, as its name indicates, technology support, AMD Pacifica, renowned SVM - Secure Virtual Machine).

It is probable that this sub-system, currently residing in the pilot (<linux-src-directory> / drivers / kvm), ends in a directory devoted to the root source of nucleus. Indeed, the project expands and adds particularly well-known capacity to Linux, the hypervisor (also called "WWW" for Virtual Machine Monitor, not to be confused with Virtual Memory Manager).

The latter, used by Xen for example, rests on the assumption that the guest system is aware that it runs on a virtual machine. Therefore, a guest system will have to cooperate with hypervisor so that it can manage to perform well a multitude of guests. The problem with this approach is that it is necessary to patch the guest system so that it can run on the host system. On the other hand, we have full virtualization, which is supposed to provide a complete abstraction of the underlying hardware architecture to the guest systems, thus avoiding their changes. This approach has often been problematic for these performances, because, until now, everything was done in software.

Support for this hardware technology is integrated into Linux directly via KVM. The work of the hypervisor is so much more succinct than the software version and full performance is therefore much higher. Briefly describe this extension brings hardware virtualization. Recall that the ring structure of the x86 architecture is used to differentiate the kernel mode (ring 0) User Mode (Ring 3). To provide the hypervisor a more adequate structure to his work, he had to find an abstraction of the CPU beyond the rings.

Under Intel (technology developed by AMD is similar). The CPU operates in two modes: the VMX (the X-eXtension) root (fully privileged ring 0) reserved for the hypervisor and the VMX non-root (less privileged ring 0) used by the guest systems. A new set of instructions on the management of VM (Virtual Machine) hypervisor is used by only VMX root. We find among other things, instructions for loading and launching VM. The other fundamental support provided by the hardware is the way the transition is caused to the guest OS to the hypervisor. This output is from the guest OS event. Some hardware instructions (rdmsr, invd, etc..), A set of exceptions (chosen by the hypervisor), access to I / O devices and access to certain records, trigger this transition modes.

As the hypervisor software provides an environment conducive to its development. To conclude this material extension, note that condition (ie control registers, RSP, RIP, RFLAGS, selectors, the characteristics of segments, FRS, etc..) Virtual machines, as well as host is stored in memory in structures called VMCS (Virtual Machine Control Structure). The material handling these structures via a transparent material specific instructions provided.

On a practical level, KVM manages these virtual machines through the abstractions provided by Linux. So, each virtual machine is seen on the host system as a process. Tools top, ps, etc.. are operational and provide information on the state of virtual machines. These have their own instance private virtualized hardware (disks, network cards, graphics chip, so on.). Note that work on the containers (the notion of private instance) of 2.6.19 were necessary for this. Also, another very interesting aspect of this approach is to take advantage of all the latest Linux optimizations regarding for example the scheduler. Thus, the management of SMP, the last heuristic scheduler, etc.. are available for KVM seamlessly. Finally, conclude the fact that this solution makes it possible to run virtual machines without emulation (with the exception of a few instructions) or binary translation.