Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compatible ram phenom x4 9850

compatible ram phenom x4 9850

i have just bought a phenom 9850 x4 black edition and although my mainboard is fine with the CPU it will not load any operating system if i replace with my Athlon64x2all works fine the seller advises the CPU is fine and the RAM is not compatible, im confused can anyone help

Re: compatible ram phenom x4 9850

What is the make/ model of your ram that you are trying to use with the new setup? It would be even good if you can tell us full specifications of your computer build. I suppose you can use ram's such as DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 with the phenom 9850 x4 black edition. You can also read some review and benchmarks for the compatibility issues by searching it either way.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

hi thanks for the reply.
    my PC consits of
    ASUS M4A785-M mainboard, HP 1GB DDR2 800 CL6 RAM X2, NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT Graphics card, running win7 64bit, main HDD 40GB maxtor,
    second drive 160GB maxtor, third drive 1.5TB samsung,
    i have updated the mainboard to BIOS 0906,
    currently i have CPU Athlon 64X2. my new CPU is Phenom X4 Black Edition
    the issue is when the new CPU is in place i cant get any operating system to work it gets so far and i get a blue error screen saying my pc has been shut down to protect it, i have tried slotting RAM in one at a time to no avail, it gets as far as the windows loading screen and then goes no further.
    BIOS recognises the CPU and shows no errors and everything works up the point of windows actually booting, i have contacted the seller of the CPU who assures me he has fully tested it and the errors seem more like RAM issues than the CPU, this all goes a bit deeper than my knowledge of PC builds.
    any advice will be very much appreciated.
    Scott

Have you tried reinstalling the OS with your ram and new cpu installed? Also, you can test your memory by downloading memory test software @ from http://www.memtest86.com/download.html . Download it and test your ram, you will have to run it all night time which would be good. It will let you know whether you have some memory issues or not.

Download and install OCCT. You can test your hardware with this software. You can test your components, power, temperature, etc. Several kinds of tests are available: Custom, automatic and infinite. It is compatible with Athlon, Core Duo, SpeedFan and MotherBoardMonitor. It would be more efficient in using it with the latest software.

If u have already tried formatting your drive with the new OS, try formatting with a new HDD, the 160Gb maxtor, it might be a HDD fault also. Also Check your RAM in a friend's PC, this is the best way to find out. Also Windows hasn't perfected its 64Bit OS so try it with 32bit. also did u check asus site for cpu compatibility on your motherboard?

HI
    i have tried 3 different HDD now also tried winxp, and 7 32bit and just for fun win 98. i have now put some different ram in and the same fault exists, this ram is out of a working system with different CPU. the main board is compatible with the CPU i have checked this with ASUS. i have also updated BIOS to the latest firmware. bios shows the CPU and shows all4 cors active. and i can almost get windows to load a few seconds on desktop and i get the blue screen showing system error your pc has been shut down to protect it. im at an absolute loss now. it gives me the option to run memory test and shows hardware faults contact administrator, i really am confused now.

Replace the RAM memory and check out by installing it on other RAM slot. This will help you out to get to a better conclusion. I hope that the RAM slot may be faulty or not able to cope with the system that you are installing it. So first try to check up for the memory device and look out.

Hi
    Thanks for everyones advise on this, i have now exhausted myself with this, one last thing i would like to ask before i give up and stick with my
    Athlon 64X2, would it be worth trying DD3 ram would this work or be worth my while trying, i have tested with sum ATI 6400 ram and loaded Win XP i got further than before and managed to get it to start loading files it showes error messages saying certain folders are not copied and gives me the option to skip this file or try again i tried again didnt work so skiped the file it gets to about 19mins left of instal then re-boots at that point the dark blue screen comes up protecting my pc and virtual memory dumped, it seems to behave differently with different ram, also it would be gud if anyone could advise if the PhenomX4 could be faulty.
    thanks so much for everyones help
    Scott

Down Re: compatible ram phenom x4 9850

yes i think your processor is faulty, its the thing to blame, sometimes when i overclock my processor too much, this blue screen showing dumping memory to file comes and pc goes off. check your bios if there is overclocking, and always save before you exit.

Hi
    Thanks for that, the big shame is i bought the CPU off ebay and after disputing it the seller convinced me that it is ram at fault so i closed the case, looks like ive been done lol. lesson learnt
    thanks again for all the support.

oh, i thought your cpu was new, or else i would have blamed it long time back!!

generally RAM doesn't give such problems, without ram your CPU wouldn't even start properly, let alone try to boot.

oh well i will leave a very to the point email to the seller. i honestly believed that the CPU worked as the board accepted it and i could get it to boot as far as it did, also when i put ram in different slots it behaved differently, i have 4 ram slots A1 A2 B1 B2 if ram is in A1 it wont even turn the monitor on if its in B1 it turns on if 2 sticks are in A1 and B1 it turns on. the Athlon 64X2 was the first PC i ever built from scratch new board tower drives ect. the 2 X 1GB sticks of ram and the Athlon CPU were from a close friend so i knew they worked 100% i am really dissapointed that the CPU is likely to be faulty my lack of experience is shining through.
    is there any where i can take the CPU or any way i can test to be absolutely sure thats the issue such a shame and a very expensive mistake, want to check it before i invest in another, this time maybe a new one.
    or some advise on the safest place to buy a second hand one.

im very gratefull of all the support on this forum
    big thanks to everyone that responded.

Scott

dear Scott,

The only way to test your processor is to find a friend who has got a compatible motherboard, and then using your HDD and RAM, try to format and boot.

Try these last suggestions before you go bug a friend:-

1.Have you checked your BIOS for unnoticed overclocking?
    Usually there is a restore default settings button, try it.

2.Is your processor becoming too hot?
    Take apart your fan/whatever cooling system you might be having and clean it. Clean the heat sink with a brush (wash wid water if its aluminium or copper or a mixture of the two)

3. Have you applied thermal paste between your cooling system and processor?
    This increases efficiency of heat transfer away from your CPU

4.Does your motherboard fully support your processor?
    For example, your hypertransport that your motherboard requires is less than the full capacity of your processor, and thus this hinders your processor from working normally and may be causing the system crash. Some ASUS motherboards support AM3 only partially.

5. Try cleaning your RAM slots
    With a ear bud cleaner (or a piece of cotton on a thin stick) and using a very diluted thinner ( 1 drop of nail polish remover in 10-20cc of pure water). If the thinner is not diluted, the plastic may melt or get corroded.

6. Try removing some power cables from the HDDs you may dont need to boot.
    Maybe you processor isnt getting enough power.

After doing these all, its time to see the result, pray to God and press the power button!

AND LASTLY... ALWAYS CHECK THE STUFF YOU ARE BUYING 2ND HAND, SPECIALLY ELECTRICAL STUFF.

-Daz
    Last edited by tEcH mAsTer; 12-06-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Hi Daz
    the mainboard is 2 months old i bought with the intention to upgarade to the phenom, the CPU i bought is for AM2 socket, the mainboard takes AM2 AM2+ and is AM3 compatible, i also bought a new 750W power supply, and as you have suggested disconnected everything other than the main HDD and diskdrive, all usb and extra HDD even the PCIe graphics card removed, to no avail.
    i spoke to the seller and explained he assured me it was a ram issue and i stupidly believed him and left reasonable feedback urgh.
    i have since sent him an email expressing my dissapointment.

im worried about putting it in any other system as it has crashed mine 3 times now.
    the heatsink fan that came with the CPU was brand new and specificly for that CPU, also using thermal paste. when i Switch between CPU's the board realises this and i reset all defaults, i have the latest firmware uploaded for the board also.
    the board shows all 4 cores active and seems to work until i load windows then it all goes wrong,
    i think i will have to cut my losses on this one and cherish the heatsink fan as its the most expensive part of my PC now lol.
    and i will certainly take your advise and be more carefull where i purchase my parts from in future.
    time to start saving again for another CPU, maybe a new one this time.
    at least if it dosn't work i have a fall back.

thanks for the advise.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast