Thread: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

I am wanting to upgrade the CPU in my HP Media Center m7277c Desktop PC.

What, in your knowledge/opinion would be the best/fastest CPU I can upgrade to????

Current System Specs:

Motherboard:
    manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LEHP/Compaq name: Lithium-UL8E

CPU:
    Socket: 775Supports Pentium D (Smithfield) up to 3.2 GHz and Pentium4 (Prescott) up to 580 and 670

System Bus:
    533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz

Chipset:
    Northbridge: Intel 945PSouthbridge: Intel I/O Controller Hub 7

BIOS features:
    The mainboard BIOS provides “Plug & Play” BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automaticallyThe mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications

Form Factor:
    Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory:
    Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socketsSupports PC2 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAMMaximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB* (I upgraded to 4GB already)

Expansion slots:
    One PCI Express x16 graphicsThree PCI

Video graphics:
    External only

Serial ATA:
    4 SATA connectorsEach connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive

Onboard audio or audio card:
    Realtek ALC 882 CODEC
    THX certification support
    8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Onboard LAN:
    Intel 82562GT 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet

Back panel I/0:
    One PS/2 keyboard One PS/2 mouse One Parallel One IEEE 1394One RJ-45 networking port Four USB 2.0One coaxial SPDIF inOne coaxial SPDIF outSix audio connectors: side speaker out, rear speaker out, center/subwoofer, line in, line out, and microphone

Internal connectors:
    One floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88MbytesOne IDE One 24-pin ATX power One 4-pin ATX 12 V power Four serial ATA Four USB 2.0 ports on two connectorsTwo internal audio One front headphone and microphone One IEEE 1394a One CPU fan One system (chassis) fan

This link has complete specs for m7277c:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...154491&lang=en

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks!

Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

To be precise, I dont think that apart from memory upgrade and hard drive upgrade, you can upgrade anything else in your HP Media Center m7277c because it is a desktop pc and not a assembled pc, correct me if I am not wrong. Even if you will upgrade then you will void the terms and conditions for your desktop pc. By the way you have a prescott processor so I dont think that your desktop pc will support core 2 duo infrastructure or so.

smile Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

Thanks for your advice MattyBoy. I'll take that into consideration.

HP Tech Support said that Geoforce 9400GT is the best upgrade for my m7277c system.

I'm still open to other opinions/knowledge/advice on my CPU upgrade issue fr my HP Media Center m7277c.

Thanks,
    Bucannon

Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

You can upgrade your cpu to Intel Pentium 4 660 3.6Ghz

Supported Features:
    1. Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology
    2. Hyper-Threading Technology 1
    3. Intel® EM64T 2
    4. Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
    5. Execute Disable Bit 3
    6. Intel® Thermal Monitor 2

cool Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    correct me if I am not wrong. Even if you will upgrade then you will void the terms and conditions for your desktop pc.
    You know what's funny MattyBoy!?! I chatted with a couple different HP Customer Support agents through the "Chat" window from the HP site and they both explained how to upgrade my memory and CPU and even suggested the type of memory card and CPU that was compatible with my retail store bought HP media Center m7277c Desktop PC.
    Go figure!!

I guess they don’t care much about the terms and conditions or never thought that much about to give me a disclaimer for the information they were giving me.

And – I’m not too worried about the warrantee situation much either because I’m 5 years past the expiration date on that!
    I think I might be better to offload this 2005 model HP onto my wife and build me a new one from scratch.

Funny HUH!?!?

ThumbsUp Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

Hey SUpER CoP – I appreciate the tech knowledge of my m7277c CPU upgrade issue!

I’m not sure what all that “Supported Features” tech-jargon means. I’m somewhere between novice and intermediate in computer jargon.

This will give me some areas of learning as I research into the 6 features you so graciously provided!

Thanks SUpER CoP!

If you were to put all the 6 supported features together into the fastest/best CPU upgrade “brand” & “model” – what would it be???

Personally, I feel that you should rather upgrade to a whole new computer build rather than sticking up to upgrading an old age prescott technology processor because with the growing technology and hardware products, you are way to behind in terms of speedy accelerations and support for new kind of gadgets, gizmos, or even for high end gaming and graphics editings and all sort of things.

idea Re: What is the Best/Fastest CPU upgrade for my HP Media Center m7277c Computer???

I absolutely agree with you Solomon. I think I'm just beating a dead horse with this 2005 store bought model computer!

Thank You for your wisdom.

Is there a way I can delete this Tread so I don't get any more replies on this subject?

Just wondering!

Mike

Hi mike, you dont need to delete threads in order to stop the notification of any updates of the particular thread. You can simply stop those notifications by unsubscribing for that thread or post. If you don't know here is how you can do that:

1. Once you logged in with your ID, click on 'User CP' link on the forums that is on the top left of this window.
    2. Now click on 'List Subscriptions' in the left panel. This will show you all the threads you are subscribed.
    3. Now just check mark the boxes that you wanna unsubscribe and select 'delete Subscription' from the drop down menu at the bottom.

Thats it. You wont get any more notification for the particular threads or posts.