Thread: Fried my motherboard by putting DDR2 into DDR slot!

Fried my motherboard by putting DDR2 into DDR slot!

I was using a desktop installed with Intel 915 motherboard. As my ram has been damaged so i had to purchase a new RAM and as i was in a hurry i purchased a DDR 2 RAM instead of a DDR 1 RAM. Not only i purchased a wrong RAM i tried fitting the DDR2 RAM in to a DDR 1 Slot by force.

After sometime it appears that it got fixed in to the slot and finally i rebooted my system then suddenly a burning smell came out and after this the computer won't come back so i came to know that my motherboard is fried.

Finally when i cross checked the RAM i realized that my bought a wrong RAM. Now i want is what whether the newly purchased RAM is also fried. I am thinking of installing this in to my newly purchased motherboard.

Re: Fried my motherboard by putting DDR2 into DDR slot!

No you should not use the RAM which fried your older motherboard it can damage the newly purchased motherboard too. It is not worth to damage a motherboard for the purpose of checking ram only. So it would be better if you don't do any experiments with the newly purchased motherboard if you want to ensure that it works long.

This will not cause any sort of damage to your newly purchased motherboard if you try to check it with the new one.

So far the earlier incidence is concerned it occurred because you have bought a wrong RAM and installed it on a wrong motherboard. So this time be careful if possible try to take some help from a techie person who can help you in this matter.

First of all i want to know whether your RAM has been damaged completely you can check it by simply examining the physical damage if any present on the RAM it means that the RAM has been damaged otherwise it is still in the working condition. There is no need to buy a new RAM you can still use the same.

It would be better if you try to take some sort of help from a hardware professional. I think that memory stick can be checked with some new techniques too. Checking it on the motherboard is not the only way.
    Take the RAM to a hardware professional and ask him to check the memory stick. This should help you.

Quiet shocking to hear this since this is the first incidence i heard of such a kind. But so far i know you can still use the memory stick since if it is still in the working condition because the memory stick is not damaged due to the motherboard accident. Next time be careful to purchase a memory stick. if you don't have enough knowledge then you should not try anything on the motherboard since it will always result in this kinds of incidence

A friend told me that the MSI are famous because they were all flying capacitors, may have done some short strange to change plates without removing the plug from the power. That's why it is recommended that you should not check for any new things on the new mother board. i would advice you to forget that RAM.