Thread: PCI-E extention cord: Does this exist?

PCI-E extention cord: Does this exist?

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows Xp. I have installed a graphic card on the Asus motherboard and I am facing some problems with it. The computer is getting heated up due to the graphics card. A friend of mine suggested that I use PCI-E extention cord. So I want to know if PCI-E extention cord exists or not? Any information about the the topic are more than welcome.

Re: PCI-E extention cord: Does this exist?

I dont think there are such things like PCI extension cords which can be used for keeping the graphic card out of the motherboard. PCI slot is integrated on the motherboard and hence the device attached to it will be present on the motherboard and not otherwise. Therefore I would suggest that you implement a good cooling solution for the GPU of the computer which will help in keeping the temperature of the computer low.

Yes there are a 6-pin and an 8-pin extension cords available for the PCI slots which will help in keeping the graphic card of the computer out of the motherboard. Although the extension cords add little resistance to the slot but it does not hamper the performance of the graphic card. You can get the extension cords at any computer shops.

The extension cords which you are taking about do not help in attaching the graphic card to the computer from outside, but will help in rising the position of the graphic card on the motherboard for better cooling. These are called as Riser cards. The riser cards help in attaching the graphic card to the computer horizontally which helps in keeping the temperature of the GPU low.

Using the Riser cards or the extension cords is not a good idea. The riser cards and the extension cords add extra resistance to the slot which reduces the bandwidth and inturn the working speed of the graphic card. Hence the use of Riser cards should be avoided if you dont want to compromise the performance of the graphic card.

Thanks for sharing such an useful information. I can see that using the Riser cards or extension cords for the graphic card is a bad idea and hence I want to know if there are any other ways in which the temperature of the graphic card can be kept low? Please suggest.

The best way to keep the temperature of the graphic card low while using the computer is to add extra cooling fans on the computer. Before adding extra cooling fan to the computer, see if the power supply unit supports it. If the power supply unit is not supporting the extra cooling fan then the system will not boot hence wattage of the PSU should be checked before implementing extra cooling fan.