Thread: Challenging HDD problem for you

Challenging HDD problem for you

I removed a laptop HDD and put it in an enclosure, connected it via USB to a PC, and accessed files on it without problem for a couple of days. Now it does not work.

When it is connected to the laptop:
    -The BIOS doesn’t list the HDD as a possible place from which to boot. Further, I cannot load the computer anymore—the screen goes black and white text comes up. It says:
    PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF Exiting Broadcome PXE Rom
    Operating System not found

When it is connected via USB to the PC:
    -It does not show up in My Computer
    -Device Manger lists the laptop HDD under Disk drives as as “generic void disk USB device”
    -Device Manager also lists it under Unviersity Serial Bus controllers as “USB Mass Storage Device”
    -Testdisk does not recognize the laptop HDD.
    -The USB light on the enclosure is lighted

On my PC, I have tried a number of troubleshoots:
    -Uninstall device and then replug it in (in Device Manager)
    -Ran drivecleanup and cleaned out about 19 USB drivers
    -I cannot fix it in Disk Management; the drive does not appear.

I also plugged the laptop HDD into another computer via the USB enclosure, but it did the same thing it does on my PC--it comes up as an USB Mass Storage Device and I cannot access it through My Computer.

The only thing I can think of is that I unsafely removed it from the PC. It had this recognition problem a couple days ago, but restarting the computer solved it. Now nothing will.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Challenging HDD problem for you

Also, I can hear the drive spinning in it and it sounds like a normal hum. Before I had only 1 of the Y prongs plugged into the computer and worked; now when I plug only 1 in it makes a restarting sound, and I am forced to plug in 2 to make it sound normal.

Re: Challenging HDD problem for you

By looking at the problem, it seems like the Hard disk which you are trying to connect has gone bad and hence you are not able to access it from my computer. I would suggest that you get the hard drive checked by some technician. If there is any important data on the drive then take the hard drive to the data recovery center and get the data copied on some other drive.