Thread: Flashing BIOS on Dell XPS 600

Flashing BIOS on Dell XPS 600

Hello there, I have a Dell XPS 600 desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP. The motherboard of the computer is a Foxconn Nforce 4 SLI board with Dell BIOS instead of Foxconn BIOS so I was thinking if I could flash the BIOS on the Dell desktop with Nforce BIOS or not. So will Flashing BIOS on Dell XPS 600 with Nforce BIOS work? Any suggestions about the issue are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Flashing BIOS on Dell XPS 600

I dont think the Nforce BIOS will work on a Dell system. The BIOS of the Dell system is smaller as compared to the BIOS of the Nforce boards. Hence if you try to install the BIOS upgrade on the Dell system, it will not get installed completely and may create problem in the working of the computer. Therefore I would suggest do not try to upgrade the BIOS on the dell system as it may lead to system failure.

Instead of flashing the BIOS of Dell XPS with Nforce BIOS you can download and install the BIOS update for Dell systems. The updated BIOS will be available on the official website of Dell. Visit the official website and search for the updated BIOS for the model of the computer. Download and install the BIOS update on the computer which will improve the performance of the computer.

You can update the BIOS on the dell system if the architecture and the layout of both the motherboards is same. You have mentioned that Dell system which you are using is having the same Nforce motherboard except the Nforce BIOS hence I suppose that the BIOS update will work without any problems. Get the BIOS upgrade for the Nforce SLI motherboard and install it on the motherboard. Just remember to upgrade BIOS of the system from the DOS environment because sometimes the Windows environment crashes while upgradation of BIOS.

I have tried flashing the motherboard of my dell system which turned my motherboard into a brick. The architecture of the Dell motherboards is somewhat different than stock motherboards of Foxconn motherboard and hence the BIOS update does not work for the dell motherboards. Hence I would suggest that you do not try to update the BIOS of the system.

Instead of trying to change the BIOS on the motherboard, I would suggest that change the BIOS chip which is installed on the motherboard of the Dell system. Changing the BIOS chip will automatically change the BIOS on the motherboard without the risk of stocking the motherboard. Check the BIOS chip compatibility of the motherboard and replace it accordingly.

There is no problem in flashing the BIOS of the motherboard. I have the same make and model of the DELL XPS which has Nforce motherboard. The layout and the chipset of both the models of the motherboards are same, hence you can get the BIOS of the system updated without any problems. Download the latest BIOS available for the motherboard and install it on the motherboard.