Thread: What's the optical audio output all about?

What's the optical audio output all about?

I have a GA-7VAX. I have the audio-combo kit that provides me the added audio connectors with two digital outputs (coax + optical). I am going to purchase some latest speakers,that maybe the creative inspire 5500 Digital . Can I connect to these speakers with the digital optical output or is that not a better idea? Can it only be used for DVD playback or can I filter all my computer associated sounds via the single digital optical output?

Hello dear,

Those speakers should be connect to the SPDIF, it suggested that the signal will be carried in digital format to the speakers, and the D/A converter under the speaker enclosure converters the digital signal to analogue for playback. It produced the best sound in other words.

Thanks ....

Hi experts,

I wanna ask something to you all. So what is this optical audio output and how does it affect the movie surround sound and the Wii audio? Actually, I require to purchase a TV without the optical audio output and a number of people complain about it. I just need to have the Dolby Surround Sound and the good Wii audio possible. Does it have something to do with the optical audio output?

Many more thanks for the any suggestions !!!!!!!!!

So, primarily, Let me be cleat about something for you. The optical out is capable of having at least 5.1 audio channels (The .1 is your subwoofer, so in truly its actually 6 audio channels). The same thing continues for Digital coaxial cable, capable of having at least 6 audio channels. The difference between both of then is that Digital coaxial having an digital electronic signal (2 levels of voltages - 1 or 0) to your multichannel adapter. With the optical, it does not have an electronic signal of any type , neither analog and nor digital instead it carries a beam of high frequency laser light changing in intensity based on to the sound wave. Once your multichannel got this optical signal, it then diverts it into an electronic signal. Since your speakers requires an analog wave to generate sound, the optical signal is directly converted to analog signal. The digital coaxial signal is also converted to analog signal using your receiver.

star What's the optical audio output all about?

Well, According to your query, you need not to purchase a TV with neither the optical out and nor the digital coaxial because you don't have to move through the TV for the audio, it just creates complexities. So, if your Cable box have got optical audio out plug it directly to the multichannel receiver, the only cable going to your TV is the video cable (DVI, HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite, Coaxial). If you plug HDMI make sure to move the TV speakers off your turn the TV volume to minimum since HDMI carries sound as well. If your cable box having Digtal coaxial, you can plug it directly to the multichannel receiver just as with the optical. one thing should be considered, you only plug one either the optical or the digital coaxial never plug both, would be pointless. What I have told above applies to all 5.1 output sources even you DVD player with optical or the digital. So please only the video for the tv, the sound will have to move to a minimum 5.1 receiver in order for you to get Dolby Surround Sound. Your tv speakers will not provide your Dolby Surround Sound and that's why its pointless to includes the TV for the audio. Hope this clears it up.

Good luck!

Optical digital is a way of transmitting a digital signal between components in consumer audio equipment.that is also treated as a fiber-optic cable, Actually, it was developed by Toshiba and is known by the trade name TOSLINK. It is also called as Fiber-optic or Toslink cable. For examples- Optical digital output is one method to transmit a digital audio stream within the components...For more queries regarding the technical description and problems with your connection , you can post your queries as below ...

Re: What's the optical audio output all about?

You will be able to get the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1,that is very well, but those formats are zipped using lossy compression, so the sound quality is reduced in comparison to the master audio prepared for the film by the studio.

If you actually need to hear master quality audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, loss less PCM surround),that can also involve with 7.1 channels of audio, then you would require an HDMI receiver that is also able of decoding audio from it's HDMI inputs (some of the receivers only pass the video from HDMI and got disagree the audio, needing an additional optical connection, so no HD audio with that).