Thread: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0) supports AM3 CPU

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0) supports AM3 CPU

I just need to find out whether they are Gigabyte are telling lies about their products or not. I have reason for that because when they introduced this Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 they advertised boldly that it will support the AM3 CPU then all of a sudden when the time comes gigabyte refuse to supply BIOS upgrades. The only thing they need to do is to supply the BIOS upgrades with the AGESA CPU code from AMD but they have not done this. According to me this is dishonesty towards your customers.
    If anybody has any information related to this Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0) supports AM3 CPU then please reply.

Re: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev. 1.0) supports AM3 CPU

I have an idea about the fact that the platform supports AM3, but you need to make the BIOS with the most recent AGESA code, since the boards with 790fx and SB600 chipsets astonishingly have the AM3 BIOS upgrade but gigabyte did not supply the same BIOS for the 770/SB600 chipset.

The only best possible answer I have got from gigabyte is that unluckily it cannot be done with rev 1.0, the chipset was revised on rev 2.0 which is hardware associated

Windows detects the Regor core and Cool and Quiet power saving features are operational I mean they are working because you able to view the core voltage drops, the multiplier drops to 4x and the CPU is working at 800Mhz on idle. I am not the only one saying this has the confirmation of CPU-Z and the Everest report. If you are planning to by any product for them then I will not suggest you to do so. I will suggest you to go for the ASUS at least they do not say lie to customers

The only thing unable of fully recognizing the CPU is the BIOS since Gigabyte refuses to upgrade it with the newest AGESA code. Fortunately the BIOS version F7 has some AMD K10 structural design support and therefore it will work with all the new AM3 CPU’s based on the K10 structural design regardless to the core name or CPU stepping. The recent AGESA v3.3.20 in BIOS F7 identifies the Regor core Athlon II 245 CPU as Phenom II, for all intents and purposes this is not a difficulty at all because the BIOS supports all the K10 structural design features needed to run the AM3 CPU. Once again it confirms what I was trying to explain to those useless fools at Gigabyte.

After examination of the VRM on the board I would not advise using CPU with >95W TDP to preserve constancy since this board appears to only have a 3+1 phase power design. I am not saying it would not work with >95W TDP CPU, just that preferably you would want to have at least 4+1 phase power design for constancy and long life of the board. I believe few number of phases means more amperes will need to pass from side to side each phase to supply a higher powered CPU at full loads which means more heat losses and stress on the PCB traces and mechanism.

You could be right, I think you could agree that they had other MB's that were AM3 able and did release a BIOS for those boards. While their replies was short, it is very possible that other parts of the MB do not meet the principles to support the AM3 CPU properly, whether it be voltage directive or current supply, or frequency directive. Would you want your AM3 CPU to be 99.3% precise at calculations? or sometimes it can even 99.98%.

Whatever may be the thing that is short of 100% correct calculations would result in BSOD or other system crashes. Not anything out of the normal has happened to suggest that. The fact remains that Gigabyte is according to me guilty of false advertisement. They have said that AM3 support for this board so the orientation design supports AM3 from the beginning else how could they can say such thing or can claim for this. Many other brands have this same orientation design and simple BIOS upgrade allowed AM3 support though those similar designed boards suggest nothing more than 95W TDP processor which is why I also suggested the