Thread: Motherboard, BIOS and/or Video Card Issue

Motherboard, BIOS and/or Video Card Issue

I have some serious issues with my computer and I am unable to detect what is the exact problem. It all started this weekend when I launched Windows Update. After completion I restarted the computer but the computer screen went black and never came back. Now it is not starting at all. I tried resetting the BIOS but it didn't helped. I purchased a new model as it was previously but still I cannot have the Windows screen back.

What do you think where is the exact problem? Is that motherboard, BIOS, and/or Video Card issues?

Re: Motherboard, BIOS and/or Video Card Issue

Have you checked booting computer by removing the hard drives? If not then do that and see if your BIOS displays any message saying the drive is not detected? If it isn't then that's motherboard problem but if it shows then the problem lies somewhere else.

I didn't tried that but are you sure it will show such message? Does disconnecting your hard drives shows this warning message? Logically it should but I never heard of such instructions until now.

The test given by AmdUser is effective. You can try that. It is a very good test. I have seen a friend of mine who tried this once when he was having some similar problem. Also you can try to reset the CMOS setting just to test if thats not creating any problem. If there is no BIOS appearing, then you need to definitely fix the computer.

I think my computer is booting Windows when I press the power button but I think the screen is not able to receive the signals. I even tested my computer with 2 different video cards but still I can not get the output from my computer. In such what could be the problem lying?

Have you tried changing RAM, or remove all RAM and turn on you should hear a beep signal from motherboard (make sure you have a beep speaker connected). If you have more than one RAM stick then you should try one by one, and changing slots. Also check your monitor, try it on another machine, or try another monitor. Yocu said that your comp starts windows, try this, is there any disk activites after powering your PC (HDD led bliks). If blikig then ok it might start windows, when led turn's off then push power buton again and see will PC will shutdown if so you have a PCI-e, AGP, VGA or monitor problem.

Are you able to hear any beeps sound when you boot your computer? In general if there is no beep sounds coming when the motherboard or processor loads then the problem may lies in those parts. Also try to remove your RAM sticks to make sure if the computer is able to detect its absence. Because if your RAM is either not installed properly or is faulty then also system might won't load.

I never hear beeps sound whenever I start my computer. Even when the computer was working perfectly fine, I won't be able to hear any sound. So I don't think that can be a solution to find the problem. Regarding RAM, I will try this and let you know what happens.

plus2plus Guest

Check Control Panel/ Sound & Audio Devices/ Properties/ Audio tab/ Sound Playback click on down arrow and check that the correct audio is selected. Typically the problem will be they something like "modem line 0 playback" might have been substituted for the proper audio device.