Thread: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Ex58-extreme & i7 920

I bought my computer rig last week and decided to overclock it. I am using a i7-920 that is placed on Gigabyte EX58-Extreme motherboard and for cooling purpose Coolermaster V8 is integrated there. I have some little issue and I think, it can be resolved. I used to overclock right off the bat, but it kept failing so I made to flash my BIOS with the newest drivers from Gigabyte's website. Before I flashed it, I browsed SpeedFan and checked my CPU read that was 33C treated as idle status. I flashed the BIOS, and also checked my CPU temperature in BIOS, going idle at 45C!!!

So I started it up with Windows and find out my temperatures just to be sure, and it was still on 45C. I still decided to overclock and I successfully overclocked it to 3.3GHz (stable) and tested it with Prime95 for an hour. My temperatures were: CPU: 59, and cores were getting around 70C. Even at stock, the temperatures still read CPU: 59, and cores getting around 70C. So I am aware about the fact that overclocking to 3.3GHz isn't the reason to the increasing behavior of temperature . Could it be that the latest BIOS version enabled a specific option that is increasing my temperature?

Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Hello dude,

Would you tell me something that what settings are you going to use, Auto if overclocked will use maximum voltages so your temperature will increase . I will suggest you that use RealTemp or CoreTemp, or everest as speedfan is probably incorrect or misleading so you may have (Before or now) been getting involved at the incorrect voltage or speedfan is not reading them properly. Some of the BIOS are buggy though, which one in particular did you flash to ?

question Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Thanks for your quick reply and viewing my problem. By the way the information that I need to give, I am using the F12 BIOS I found off the Gigabyte website (GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS).

According to the settings - my core voltage was 1.21 and I didn't taken anything some other than that. Are there any specific configurations that might have changed during the flash that could increase the temperature (Speedstep, CxE and etc).

Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Well is that 1.21 what you manually configured, or just what you got in the BIOS on the left? Flashing would not in general increase any configurations or temperature, but sometimes can a degree or three, more likely what happened was before or now whatever software you are using taken something up incorrect or right this time hard to tell which.

Core temps are entire you really requires to worry about though. You could always flash back to the previous used BIOS, or a some other older one, and find out if temps are the looking same as now or before. If you do and all previous BIOS display minimum temps there could just be a error with this latest BIOS.

Yeah, if you made disabled Speedstep (EIST + C1E) currently, but not before, that would likely make you look temp differences as looks to this. This would be especially true if before you had them enabled and now you do not..

Ex58-extreme & i7 920

What I mean is that on the left is a default VID and on the right beside that is what you manually configured, or skip that on Auto. If you skip on Auto then it could be much more than that, based on your other configurations and your CPU itself.

With C1E and EIST enabled, those temps make sound a little warm. What cooler are you are using now, and what does CPU-z displays as your idle vcore? I would just advice you that just flash back to an previous one, It don't matter, just for a minute or so to look if maybe this is just a F12 BIOS problem or not.