Thread: Out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable

Out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable

Hello everyone, in my computer with the Windows 7 operating system, I am facing a problem that out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable. I am not able to find out what is causing the problem, so I want the people on this forums to help me solve this issue. I have seen many users facing incompatibility problems in Windows 7, but this one, I guess is a new issue created by Windows 7. I am waiting for suitable replies on this topic.

Some issue with the memory allocation

It seems that there is some issue with the memory allocation because of which out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable. Actually, the dynamic memory allocation needs to be checked because that is the part where the problem is seen to occur. I suggest you to call an engineer, who can help you with the same. If you try playing with it yourself, then more problems can occur.

Re: Out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable

Hello there, the problem that out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable has already been solved on our forums. You will have to look into the following threads to get the solutions for the same:
    1. Windows 7 Ultimate does not utilize all the RAM
    2. Windows 7 not utilizing installed 6GB of RAM

A genuine Windows 7 issue

If you are troubled with the problem that out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable, then I think that there is no need to worry. This is because it is a genuine Windows 7 issue. Many of the users have faced the same issue and hence, it is the officials of Microsoft who have to provide a proper solution to this problem. I do not think that any other solutions provided will be that useful to get rid of the issue.

Optimize the computer

If you can optimize the computer with the help of any available compatible softwares, then you may be able to solve the issue that out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable. There may be junk files in the system, that are occupying the other spaces of the memory. After you get a compatible optimizing tool for Windows 7, scan the system for the problems are fix them.

Switch to Windows Vista

My suggestion to you is to switch to Windows Vista, if out of 4 GB memory only 2.87 GB is usable. This problem that is being faced in the Windows 7 operating system is not encountered in Windows Vista. You can use Vista without any worries because it does not have any sort of incompatibility problems or any other issues too. I am using the same and I find it quite better than Windows 7.