Thread: 4-pin vs 8-pin Power Motherboard

4-pin vs 8-pin Power Motherboard

Hi friends,
    I want to know the difference between the 4 pin power motherboard and the 8 pin power motherboard. Also suggest me which one is more better. If you are finding tough then tell me an information about the stability and the overclocking so that I can choose the best according to me.!! So provide some useful information about the 4-pin vs 8-pin Power Motherboard. Help me as soon as possible.!!
    The Gaming Machine:
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E6400
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB XMS2 Corsair PC2-6400
    Video: ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB w/ Arctic Accellero
    Drive: 74GB "WD Raptor" 10000RPM
    Sound: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Watercooling: *Soon* Zalman Reserator

Re: 4-pin vs 8-pin Power Motherboard

I would recommend you to use the one with x8 connector, because that provides more power to the motherboard. Suppose that your power supply is not having the 4 pin 12 V cable, then you can go for an adapter that converts a 4 pin peripheral cable into a 4 pin 12 V cable. You should also know that a 4 pin 12 volt cable is polarized in such a way that only 4 pin motherboard connector can be plugged correctly.

hi,
    The connector 12 V 4 / 8 pin supplies the current power to the motherboard. 24 pin because it fuels the motherboard and the port extensions of PCI / PCIe. When you use a dual 4 pin CORE, I think that it should be sufficient, but if you spend with quad core with 4 pins you have great chance that the PC that you are working in does not start.

The 8-pin connector (EPS12V) is normally present on all motherboards dual-CPU (motherboard type dual-Xeon server and other). If you look at the composition of the connector, you will simply note that there are 4 wires coming out of 12V which are yellow and 4 wires to ground that are black. And the other has 2 yellow and 2 black to a 4 pin ATX connector. So 8-pin connector is used only to bring more power to the processor.

The format of the power connector on the motherboard is changed, it becomes impossible to connect backwards. More and ATX 2.0, there has been increased from 20 to 24 pin to withstand the current necessary to power devices PCI Express. If you are thinking about the 4-pin vs 8-pin Power Motherboard, then I would also suggest you to go for the 8-pin Power Motherboard which provides more power to motherboard when compared to other.

I think that you can plug a 4 pin 12 volt power cable into an 8 pin EPS motherboard connector, but no one can assure you that it will definitely work. If your motherboard requires only single 12 volt rail then there are chances that a 4 pin 12 volt cable may work. A motherboard that is having 8 pin EPS connector expects a lot of current and you are taking a serious risk by plugging in a 4 pin cable. The 8 pin 12 volt cable is polarized so it can only be plugged into the 8 pin motherboard connector correctly.