Thread: Doubt before flashing bios

question Doubt before flashing bios

Hi all!

Hope this thread is in the right place, if not I kindly ask the admin who reads it to please move it.

I have a laptop with a Phoenix bios and due to several reasons I'm eager to upgrade it (have already tried other things to solve the issues and also checked the documentation of my hardware and mobo)
    I have found the BIOS upgrade I need from the manufacturer.

In the FAQs page of the manufacturer where the question is "How to flash my bios?" the answer is "Boot your computer to a floppy disk that contains Phlash.exe utility, a .BIN and .ROM files provided by manufacturer, and type phlash /B=xxxxxx.bin xxxxxx.rom /X at the command prompt. Restart system after completing this process."

Well I bought this laptop PC in June 2008 so of course it does NOT have a floppy drive. So I made my USB drive bootable with DOS, and I tested it and it's the Win98 bootdisk.

In the update zip file I downloaded, I have the phlash16.exe file, a rom file, 2 txt files, a bat file and a wph file. I did some research and found that the flash files are the rom and wph. But according to the instructions I read I need a BIN file, so...? Maybe they didn't taylor the answer to all the systems they sell? Should I ask them for help?
    What can I do? I tried flashing replacing the x.bin file with the x.wph file and it failed (did not brick my pc as it did nothing, just said it failed because there were no instructions found and reboot the pc).

I did contact the manufacturer but been waiting for their answer 2 weeks now lol

The parameters I used were:

phlash16 /bu /b=flashfile.wph flashfile.rom /x

(I added /bu in order to make a backup)

Thanks in advance

Rgds

Re: Doubt before flashing bios

You must note down that flashing bios is a complex task and if you perform that improperly then your motherboard will not work. That is on your own risk. Many official sites provides a BIOS update for the particular motherboard model. You can download that and create a ready made bootable media from it. Those are automated upgrade process where you does not need to do anything. I will advice you to contact the manufacturer.

Re: Doubt before flashing bios

i managed to do it
    i made a veeeeery long distance call (asia) and did it, lol
    thank you ^^