Thread: What is difference between RAM and ROM?

What is difference between RAM and ROM?

I am fresher in the computer world. Right now i am learning/studying about the different parts of motherboard and other hardware peripherals. I have query regarding the RAM and ROM memory.. I want know what is difference between the RAM and ROM?, and for what purpose they are used? Please help me out.

Re: What is difference between RAM and ROM?

RAM: RAM stands for Random Access Memory. RAM is a volatile type of memory which requires the electricity to flow to retain information. This type of memory is used by computers for processing the programs. IT has High Speed.
    ROM: ROM stands for Read Only Memory. Mainly it is consider as a piece of permanently written information stored as memory. There are versions of this memory that can be rewritten but it is then called EPROM. ROM has Low speed.

According to me, RAM is temporary memory with high cost and small size. RAM is volatile type of memory. They are consider as read/write memory and it is mostly used by computer to process their programs. In other words, RAM is used to run certain basic programs and functions that your computer needs to operate correctly. On the other hand, the ROM is permanent memory with low speed and larger size. They are non-volatile memory and also note that additional ROM chips are available in processor.

Random Access Memory is a form of memory that can be read without having to begin at the first address, then the second address, then the third, and so on. RAM is your computer's temporary storage space.RAM is temporary memory,high cost and small size. ROM(Read Only Memory) is permanent memory,access speed is less and larger size. Read Only Memory is exactly what the name implies, it can only be read, not written to. Hope your problem will be solved.

My knowledge about the computers says that RAM(Random Access Memory) is consider as temporary store of data,whereas ROM(Read Only Memory) is permanent store of data. The RAM is know for the primary storage of data, and ROM is known for the secondary storage of data. It is also known that RAM comes with small capacity of storing data, and on the other hand, ROM comes with the high capacity of storing data. Hope your problem get solved.

ROM stands for Read Only Memory. In computers, almost always has a small amount of read only memory(ROM) which will hold instructions for starting up the computer. They are non-volatile memory, and cannot be written to and they have large size. RAM stands for Random Access Memory. They are the temporary (i.e volatile) storage area used by the CPU. Before a program can be ran, the program is loaded into the memory which allows the CPU direct access to the program and they small size compare to ROM.