Thread: Static and Dynamic RAM

Static and Dynamic RAM

I am new to the computer world and its technology. Now a days, i am studying about the different parts of the motherboard. Recently, i was studying about the RAM's and a question arise in mind that, what is the difference between the Static and Dynamic RAM's? Please help me on this.

re: Static and Dynamic RAM

Good question ask by you. I would say that the static RAM are the ones which are not able to do refreshing, and has 6 to 8 MOS transistors to form one memory cell. And the information stored as voltage level in a flip flop. On other side, the dynamic RAM are the ones which can do refreshing periodically, and has 3 to 4 transistors to form one memory cell. And the information is stored as a charge in the gate to substrate capacitance.

According to me, our computer mostly uses both the static RAM as well as the dynamic RAM at the same time, but they are used for different reasons because of the cost difference between the two types. Dynamic RAM is the most common type of memory in use today.In Dynamic RAM chip, every memory cell holds one bit of information and is made up of 2 parts: a transistor and a capacitor. In static RAM, a form of flip-flop holds each bit of memory. Hope you will understand the term static and dynamic RAM.

Static RAM: In this type of RAM, a type of semiconductor memory is used and where the word static indicates that it doesn't required to be periodically refreshing. As the SRAM uses bistable latching circuitry to store each bit.
    Dynamic RAM: Dynamic RAM are known as DRAM and they most commonly used in market. This type of RAM will store the data in the form of charge into capacitor. And for storing another charge capacitor require to refresh the data which it holds.This refresh operation is where dynamic RAM gets its name.

My knowledge about RAM's says that the Dynamic RAM will store memory temporary, means once you restart the computer, the content of the memory is gone/erased. And whereas the Static RAM will store the memory more permanently than dynamic RAM(DRAM). Mostly, DRAM is what we buy to speed-up or add more memory to our computer to improve performance because that is what the machine uses as its scratch pad. Hope you problem will be fix.

Static Random Access Memory (SRAM) is a type of semiconductor memory. This type of RAM does not have refreshing, and it has 6 to 8 MOS transistors, which will form one memory cell. In static RAM, a form of flip-flop holds each bit of memory. Dynamic Random Access Memory(DRAM) that needs to be periodically refreshed. Inside a dynamic RAM chip, each memory cell holds one bit of information, an electric pulse gives it power then it needs to do it again and again.