Thread: Intel 48 Core processor information

Intel 48 Core processor information

Hi,
    I heard in a news that Intel is going to provide its new 48 Core processor. What is this processor for. Like the other processor of Intel they are best designed for overclocking and gaming with other purposes. When this chip is going to comes. What are best features of it. What more new is added to this processor as compare to the others. Thanks in advance.

Re: Intel 48 Core processor information

Yes it is true that Intel has demonstrated a new processor equipped with not less than 48 core! This single-chip computer cloud "(CSC) is the result of Tera-scale project that had already given birth in 2007 to Polaris, a chip with 80 core. Tera-scale is for Intel to study the behavior and take directions for future massively multicore architectures. Engraved in 45nm, CSC consumes between 25 and 125W depending on load.

The processor I think is not yet in the market. It consists of 24 units each comprising 2 core, 2 cache and an L2 router used for the internal network to the chip operating at 256 Gb / s. Each of these units can operate at its own frequency. The CSC is composed of 6 blocks of 4 units (8 core) can run each in his own blood and with a DDR3 memory controller.

In order to simplify the design of the processor CSC does not have a mechanism for coherence caches hardware it supports message passing. It is still under work. Currently no product based on the CSC is announced, but Intel will produce at least a hundred bullets to provide platforms for manufacturers and researchers, to develop them with new applications and models programming to take advantage of future massively multicore processors.

This is really awesome that 48 is the number of cores that Intel's labs have managed to bring together in one experimental processor. This system is given as fairly efficient, consuming only 125 watts at full power and 25 watts at idle. For comparison, the 2.8 GHz Core i7 of iMac 27 "is 95 watts. Intel is still working on reducing the energy consumption of this processor.

This processor will work greatly on and benefit its future processors currents. Thus, future laptops with processing capacities of this magnitude could enjoy a 'vision' just as a human being sees objects and movements in real time with high accuracy. This processor has been called Single Chip Cloud Computer (computer chip virtual or cloudy) with reference to the principle of operation of data center that focuses a high-capacity computing across multiple computers.