Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post System Benchmarks here

Great bunch of questions ! I think the following references will answer all your questions in their entirety - of course, each one with its own POV. They, unfortunately, don't get deeply technical.

1. The first is one from AnandTech on the performance of Intel and AMD CPUs for Half Life 2. The link was originally posted by Aces here (Thanks Mate). But that thread went down the obvious route of - well, you guessed it - Intel vs AMD party time . A section in that review which caught my attention was on the AMD 64 memory subsystem, particularly as it relates to the a) impact of bandwidth on Socket 754 vs Socket 939; b) limpact of loss of bandwidth when using a divider on a Winchester c) memory timings. Specifically look at the impact on the test at_c17_12 which is the most CPU dependent.

2. The second one is a long running thread in AnandTech forums by a person named Zebo. The evidence he presents and his conclusions are pretty damning. It's an interesting read for sure and it's here:

Also, evaluate (2) above in light of AnandTech's conclusions at the very end.

Hope this helps to some extent !

PS: A Big Hi to you too Crazy_Eddy

First post here. My 2.4C reaches 3 Ghz pretty easily and even with this overclock and while running super Pi, the temp does not cross 30C. See the first screenshot. Northwoods run cool and the prolonged winter of the northern part of the country helps

But the surprising part was that even with a clockspeed of 3 Ghz, the super pi 2 million takes about 1 minute 50 seconds. The AMDs are scoring much better here. It looked a bit odd and so I ran the windows task manager to monitor CPU performance while running the super PI. See the second screenshot. The screenie shows that the super-Pi is stressing only half the CPU. It appears to me that unless one disables Hyperthreading of HT enabled P4s, Super Pi will always give underbiased results for these processors.

Sorry about the confusion. Some differences there. In the second screenie, it is 1 million super Pi count and it was done without OC. The first one shows results for 2 million and with OC. I posted the 2 million count because earlier posts in this thread have used that benchmark. The results between the two screenshots are not comparable. HT was on in both cases.

The second screenie was more to show that only half the processor is stressed while running super Pi.

Every benchmark that I have come across has its own idiosyncracies so to speak.
    I noticed a very big discrepancy in the mem tests of pcmark'04 and pcmark'02.
    Here I am not referring to the actual points awarded per se but rather the fact two systems come out on opposite sides of pcmark'02 and pcmark'04!
    I think the fact that pcmark'02 uses video ram tests and pcmark'04 does not may b a factor in play.
    Super Pi is a very good test of ur cpu's raw power ,far more more than those iSSE/aSSE scores shown in Sandra.
    And from experience Sandra Mem Test r actually quite reliable with margin of error less than 1% if done properly.
    As regards the discrepancy shown by single channel a64 systems well actually the main advantage of the a64 is the on-die ram controller resulting in very low latencies and hence very high bus EFFECIENCY.(P4 has a very high "miss" rate thats why it needs to b fed continuously)
    So while dual-channel does infact bring about an 80%(no not 100%!) increase in the bandwidth available to the a64(as any synthetic test would show)the real world gains r to the tune of 5-15%, cetris paribus(all other factors being equal)
    Last edited by undertaker; 23-10-2004 at 06:54 PM.

Here are my pathetic scores !

Arithmatic
    Dhrystone: 7173
    Whetstone: 1996/3636

Multimedia
    Integer: 16878
    FP: 21056

Memory b/w (single channel)
    Int: 2652
    Float: 2651

Night_Huntre Guest
    CPU Arithmetic Benchmarks :

Dhrystone ALU : 9160 MIPS
    Whetstone FPU : 3475 MFLOPS

CPU Multimedia Benchmark :

Integer : 20776 it/s
    Floating-Point : 22100 it/s
    http://www.techarena.in/forums/attac...achmentid=3438
    http://www.techarena.in/forums/attac...achmentid=3439
    these scores any good

having problems with my board as well , it hates high voltages

(worth getting a dfi and a x800 vanilla? hehe)

used a divider since it seemed the most stable cpu at 270 htt @ 1.45v and ram 220 @ 2.8v

heard somewhere that during testing of an ocz ddr booster on an a8v they blew up the board when they went over 3v

testing prime at the moment .. winnies are ever so buggy with prime 95 so keeping my fingers crossed

1. Typical faster/expensive is better. But Anandtech had an important point when they mention the small minor percentages in each area add up to represent a pretty significant percent increase overall. So while we may scoff at a minor 5% increase , the total sums up to quite a bit !

2. The second link in fact was what I came across some time after I posted my query here. Once again showed very minimal increases, but here the author was clearly focussing on bang for the buck kind of performance. Was pretty impressed by the points put forward and came to the conclusion that latency, not bandwidth affects the performance on an A64 platform the most. I guess if you find decent RAM that can maintain good timings at its rated speed, you shouldnt have too hard a time while overclocking with the help of dividers, and that shouldnt be too difficult

hey guys anyone know where can i find DFI UT NF4 SLI in india?
    And also X800XL PCI express card.
    I am going PCI express, i had A8N SLI but that board is useless for extreme overclocking. So i just sold it and looking for new motherboard.
    If I cant find DFI then I am getting gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI.
    The new bios which allows memory tweaking is out for gigabyte so it should do ok now

cngn Guest
    Hi Guys,

Here's my benchmark. Do anyone has any comments on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12