Thread: Gigabyte P35-DS3R AHCI ISSUES

Gigabyte P35-DS3R AHCI ISSUES

I had been running Windows Vista 64 on my system. Recently i had upgraded my system. Now i have a new Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard. Now the problem is that after upgrading my motherboard, it won't let me AHCI, well it does now, before it kept restarting after loading Vista 64bit. I believe the problem lies with the SATA HDD that I have. I have attempted to research the issue, but have been unable to solve the problem. The first clean install was on the same one, but that one failed. So, can any body tell me that how do i resolve Gigabyte P35-DS3R AHCI issue? Any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Gigabyte P35-DS3R AHCI ISSUES

Probably because it doesn't load and install the driver, since you run it on IDE mode in BIOS while installing Windows. The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an application programming interface defined by Intel which defines the operation of Serial ATA host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner. Try installing Windows with AHCI selected in BIOS, loading AHCI drivers at F6 prompt as you did before.

AHCI requires different drives than IDE mode. you'll need to install drivers before it'll work. I have the same issue with a P35-DS3R R1. I've tried every possible setting in BIOS F11 and F13 without succes. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3Gb/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot-plugging and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

Try setting it back to ATA and disable flash cache in bios. Are these issues on 32bits or 64bits? Looked to me more like the file path cannot be accessed than being corrupted. Install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and Reboot. Go back to the bios immediately and set it back to AHCI and enabling flash cache. The system will detect new PCI hardware or something and finish the installation.

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID. If you reinstalled Vista at some point while the system bios was in IRRT mode (default as shipped from Dell) and later tried to change to AHCI you'll find that the system blue screens booting into Vista. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.

AHCI in no way shape or form is destroying or causing problems with your hard disk. However, after the initial installation and the first set of updates, I updated the BIOS on the motherboard. That fixed the AHCI problem I had earlier. AHCI issues would show up in the form of incompatibility/quirks between the SATA controller (chip) and the OS itself.