Thread: How to increase Windows 7 memory

How to increase Windows 7 memory

I have a Dell laptop on which i had been running Windows 7 with 2GB memory installed on my laptop. Just few days back i tried to "boost" my laptop using the "ready boost" feature on my Disk on key. he HTPC is used 99% of the time as a media center, no gaming or encoding. I had gave it a 1.5 GB free space on the disk, in order to use for boost, but my computer can't see it. It only shows 2 physical gigs on my machine. So, can nay body tell me that how to increase Windows 7 memory? Any one knows about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue. Thanks.

Re: How to increase Windows 7 memory

The memory is being used by other subsystems, but is not available to the computer. You can only get less then 4Gb total on 32 bit system. Mine has 3.5Gb out of 4Gb. I think you just need to increase the size of the Windows 7 Mode window. I don't really know how to figure where it goes, but the system uses it somewhere.

According to me, the memory doesn't go anywhere, its there as "Free Memory" its always good to have free memory, if you used all of your memory, your system performance would not be good. But there is no such thing for memory. A memory controller is much more complex than the above interfaces and is built into each motherboards northbridge chip. It cannot be added to or altered.

This is how intel integrated graphics assign the virtual ram. You can veirfy this in display properties --> settings --> adapter, or using dxdiag in start --> run. Many computer users are worried about their computer's performance. After spending lot of bucks, still they cannot have that charm of using PC as they had expected. If you want to get more, you need to upgrade to 64 bit windows, which will currently give you 128Gb. maximum. It can do more, but right now it is limited to 128Gb. For that right click "my computer", left click "properties" and see what ram shows there.

Changing the Physical Memory means purchasing an additional memory chip.
    Check in properties (Windows+Pause/Break). If you do not have shared memory, then increasing RAM is not likely to affect graphics since that would use onboard RAM on the graphics board. Click on Help & Support Center on the Start Menu. Type in 'virtual memory' in the Search. Click on 'Change the size of the virtual memory paging file'. Follow the directions. Check your BIOS settings to see if there is a place to change shared memory amount, and look at your computer properties to see how much RAM is available. I recommend you buy and install more RAM -- this will make Windows 7 much faster and programs run better.

If it is showing 4GB, then don't worry about it, you are having 4GB. 4GB is the limit in 32-bit systems. You cannot increase it. You can also set this value by changing a registry parameter. Open up regedit.exe through the start menu search or run box, and then navigate down to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. For 64-bit OS, you need to have a 64-bit processor. 32 bit operating systems can only access 3 gigs of ram.