Thread: Overheating the AMD X2 4200..??

Overheating the AMD X2 4200..??

I did the up-gradation of my old computer a month ago. Here are the specification of my system :

AMD X2 4200+
    RAM 2gb (2 sticks)
    320GB Hd's (Western Digital)
    Ati radeon HD2600 XT

Now the problem is the AMD X2 4200 is overheating and that turns my system down. This happens usually when I play the games. Please help me to resolve the problem.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

Re: Overheating the AMD X2 4200..??

When your processor gets overheated the system gets restarted to save the processor from the heating. Excess heat can cause the damage to your processor. Have you installed the heatsink while upgrading your system? If not then the first thing you have to do is to install the heatsink. That will help to keep the temperature normal by absorbing the heat. So fixing the heat-sink may solve your problem.

If you have installed the heatsink already then check the following things :
    • The sink for a plastic cover on bottom.
    • Replace the thermal pad if any with arctic silver 5 after cleaning the sink and CPU.
    • Properly reset the sink.
    • Make sure that the sink supports your CPU.

Many times the one fan cannot control the temperature that is getting generated. Also you are using the Radeon HD2600XT graphic card which may also cause an issue. The graphic card also generates much heat. So I would like to recommend you to find the other way to install the another Exhaust fan opposite to the CPU. The temperature will be normal after installing the another fan.

Is this happening only when playing the game.? If yes, then I would recommend you to not play those games till to install the heatsink. Because that may cause problem to your processor. Also improper shutdown can cause the operating system files to corrupt. So instead facing such problems, avoid playing the games till you install the heatsink or the problem gets solved.

Hi,

I have a AMD 4200+ and I was starting to get overheating problems. My CPU idle temp was about 48 Celcius and when I ran CPU Stability Test 6.0 I was finding that the temperature was going up to about 68 Celcius(and then crashing the program). I also found the CPU overheat buzzer was activating with some games and also crashing them. The CPU buzzer activation temp was set to 70 Celcius at the time.

I tried different heat sinks and fans and they made no difference. I am certain they were fitted properly.

I have always had overheating issues with this CPU even when it was new. Its only now in the Summer time that its really become a problem as the extra heat is tipping it over the edge.

Anyway I read a few forum posts about people who had similar issues and had removed the IHS from thier CPU(Google AMD IHS removal). My CPU was basically useless for my gaming needs as it was, so I wasn't going to be too dissapointed if a wrecked it attempting this procedure.

So I did this, and also at the same time took some 600 grade sandpaper to the bottom of my copper heat sink. After cleaning the cpu and heat sink up with meths, I reapplied heat sink paste and its running cooler than ever now.

Idle temp - 35
    Under load temp - 40

There is even a you tube video showing how to remove the IHS. But beware, its not recommended for the clumsy. Also, you will need an appropriate heat sink, the stock AMD cooler will be no good at all after you do this, as the contact surface of the chip will be sitting a bit lower than before with the metal "top" off it.
    My Arctic Cooling Freezer pro was fine for this, but most people seem to go for the ones that bolt directly onto the mainboard.