Thread: Toshiba A105 Ram Upgradation Issue

Toshiba A105 Ram Upgradation Issue

Hello there, I have a Toshiba A105 laptop which i have been using for a while. Initially it had only 1gb of RAM installed to it so i decided to upgrade the RAM to 2gb. I bought a new 1gb Trancend ram chip with 667Mhz and added to it. After the Ram upgradation the laptop does not start. When the power button is pressed, all the LED's flash along with Num lock on keyboard but the system does not boot and then shuts down itself. What can be possibly wrong in this situation? Please suggest some solutions to start the laptop again.

Re: Toshiba A105 Ram Upgradation Issue

Have you checked the maximum RAM capacity of your laptop before upgrading? The maximum system memory that can be added depends on the specifications of the system. There is always a limitation on the amount of memory that can be accessed by the system. It depends on the motherboard of the system. I think your system is not able to handle the extra memory that you have added. Check the specifications of the laptop and see if it can support the extra amount of memory that you have added.

There are many factors that have to be considered while upgrading the system memory. If multiple ram chips are used to upgrade the memory then all the chips should be compatible with each other. Compatible to each other means the FSB's of the RAM chips should match with each other. If there is mismatch in the FSB's of the RAM chips then the system faces problem while accessing the RAM. Therefore check if the RAM chips are compatible to each other or not and get the new chip replaced if possible.

Try to boot the system with your older ram only. If the system boots then there is problem with the newly installed RAM. Ram chips can also get damaged by an electrical discharge during its installation. Therefore check if the newly installed RAM is working properly or not. To check the new ram, remove the old ram and replace it with the new ram. Now try to boot the system. If the system boots then the RAM is working fine and if the system does not boot then the ram is not working and needs to be replaced.

It is possible that the extra RAM slot in the laptop is faulty and due to which the RAM is not working. To check if the RAM slot is working or not. Remove the old ram from its slot and put it in the extra slot. Now try to start the system. If the system starts there is no issue with the extra RAM slot. Now remove the odl ram from the slot and replace it with the new RAM. Now try to boot the system, if the system boots both RAM and ram slots are working but if it does not boot then the NEW ram needs to be replaced.

I dont think that your current motherboard supports 2 gb ram. Contact the Toshiba Tech support team so as to get there guidance in getting the motherboard replaced. If the laptop is in warranty cover then you will get the motherboard replaced for free but if it is out of warranty then you will be charged for the motherboard along with the service charge. After the motherboard is replaced there would be no problem in adding the system memory.