Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

PC consumes how much power?

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 26-12-2009

PC consumes how much power?

I have PC with configuration :Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (512 MB), Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, 320GB HDD, TSSTcorp DVD-RW SH-D162C. I am using from last two years this configuration only, and now my electricity bill is coming too much and my father tells me its because of my PC. I usually use PC for at least 5hours a day. Please somebody tell me how much power does my PC will consume?

Old 26-12-2009

Re: PC consumes how much power?

This is really funny question to answer. I don't thing any one tell exact power does your PC will consume. I am telling because consumption is totally based in how much is your usage, specific daily usage time, type of programs using, etc. But at least can tell that PC consumes less power then what geyser, refrigerator and A/C's would consume. And yes to find the exact figure of your personal computer you can contact the manufacturer, they can guide you for this properly.

Last edited by Amd Athlon : 26-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 26-12-2009

A normal desktop computer uses about 70 to 255 watts. But if you want exact figure, then contact your manufacturer, their guide would be perfect. You can also look at the label of most devices, that how much energy they use, but that doesn't work so well with desktop computers because the theoretical maximum is given by them, and not the typical amount used. A desktop computer whose power supply or label says 350 watts might be using only about 60 watts when it's actually running, and only 200 even in peak times with serious number-crunching and all the drives spinning.
Old 26-12-2009

My theory says that to calculate the Wattage, is simply calculate by multiplying voltage by amperage. So, now look on the back of your system, and you can see how much amps the system uses. By this often you you will get the wattage. For E.g, the back of a ViewSonic E210 is 2.5A at 120V - ~300 Watts/Hr. An average rate is 10 cents per kilowatt hour, or 5 cents per hour to leave your monitor on. or 120 cents per day.
A computer system can use between 160 and 650 or more watts per hour. Together, it could cost between $35 and $75 a month.
Old 26-12-2009

Till i know that tests conducted by IST, Hardware Support, and that tests based on a Pentium 4, 1.8GH machine. It showed that
->During boot, around 110Watt power is consumed
->During idle, around 60Watt with no power management.
->During full power saving, no hard disk spin, machine in sleep mode, it goes upto 35watt.
Also note that in the test, monitor consumption was not included. Also, numbers would vary depending on the processor you have and what other devices you may have connected. This means that every computer consumes roughly the same amount of energy at it's highest usage level as a 100watt light bulb.

Last edited by Russell : 26-12-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 26-12-2009

I tell you that if without a monitor, the average desktop computer will consume somewhere around 100 or 110 Watts or slightly high depending upon other peripherals used and whether or not it's under load. It would be about the same as leaving a bright 100watt bulb room the light on all the time. And if you are living in a cold climate, then it would be little less of a burden, because the desktop computers excess energy is radiated as heat, possibly decreasing the heating bill.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: , , , ,