Thread: What is cmdagent.exe

What is cmdagent.exe

I had been running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 on my system. Form last few days i noticed my computer is running slowly. When I press CTRL + ALT + DEL to show the Task Manager, it shows that CMDAGENT.EXE is using 100% CPU. When I click on the process and click on "End Process" it says Access Denied. So, can any one tell me that what is cmdagent.exe? Is there a way to stop this program from hogging my CPU? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: What is cmdagent.exe

Cmdagent.exe is a Comodo Firewall process that causes high CPU usage and can generate registry-related errors from leftover entries after you uninstall the firewall.cmdagent.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" or sometimes in a subfolder of C:\. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 361,040 bytes (57% of all occurrence), 519,936 bytes, 507,648 bytes, 544,512 bytes, 495,360 bytes, 565,840 bytes, 536,576 bytes, 614,136 bytes, 569,936 bytes, 356,944 bytes.

I suspect that the detection is a false-positive. To start, you did the right thing by investigating the problem and identifying it as cmdagent.exe in your task manager, and you were even more cautious by not removing it as you were unsure of the responsibilities of this process. The file C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\msmsgs.exe appears on my machine and although I can't rule out that yours is either not the original or perhaps has been infected, I suspect not.

cmdagent.exe is a Comodo Agent Service from Comodo belonging to Comodo Firewall We strongly recommend that you run a FREE registry scan to identify cmdagent.exe related errors. You can use the Restore button under the Quarantine Tab to replace the file and then have MBAM scan again. I just right clicked the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder and scanned that from within the context menu and with the latest updates mine came back clean.

The Cmdagent.exe file belongs to the Comodo Firewall and is known to cause 100% CPU usage problems on Windows computers. The program has no visible window. The file is not a Windows core file. The file is digitally signed.Additionally, if you try to end the cmdagent.exe process from the Processes tab of the Task Manager, you may get an “Access Denied” error message. cmdagent.exe is able to record inputs, monitor applications, manipulate other programs. You get this message because the file is part of the Comodo Firewall, which might be functional when you try to end the cmdagent.exe process.

Just to make the PC's usable, but be sure to re-enable when issue is corrected. However, before implementing any of these you should ensure that the cmdagent.exe file you have is legitimate. Start in safe mode, run "services.msc" find the Comodo Internet Helper Service, right click, Properties, and disable the service. The correct location of the file is C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe. If you find the file somewhere else, be warned that it may be a virus, a Trojan or some other form of malware. Reboot and all works. To enable again, you do not have to re-start in safe mode. Change the service back to automatic, apply, then the service is startable.