Thread: Ati Radeon 9800 Pro bootup problem ..!!

Ati Radeon 9800 Pro bootup problem ..!!

I have installed the 9800 Pro in my desktop. Yesterday when I tried to reboot I heard continuous beep and the message "You have not connected the power extension cable to your Radeon 9800 video card" displayed. Later then I checked all the connections. Does anyone know what's wrong?
    Last edited by hatred; 25-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Do not email me asking for tech support. Any private support is billable at $50 an hour.

Re: Ati Radeon 9800 Pro bootup problem ..!!

The continuous beep indicates that there is something wrong in one of the following thing :

1. RAM issue. Your RAM is not working or it is incorrectly installed.
    2. You have not installed the Video Card correctly or it is damaged.

The above two issues can make your mother board beep continuously. So first make sure that you have installed the working RAM or Video Card correctly.

Also try to swap out the Ati Radeon 9800 Pro with something else, and check that the system is booting properly or not.

I think that there is not proper power connection to your card, that's why it is beeping to warn you. There is a power connection on the card, same as your hard disk and CD drive has. If you are having a free power connector, then hook it directly to the card. Otherwise you will need the adapter.

There are also chances that your power supply is not providing enough power for the video card that you are using. The power might not be enough for the video card, motherboard and any other peripherals that are already installed. So according to me you should get approximately 350 to 450W power supply. This will be enough for the video card and other peripherals.

Which card were you sing earlier ?? Have you uninstalled the drivers loaded for the previous video card. Because installing the drivers without uninstalling the previously loaded driver can cause an issue. So uninstall the drivers and then reinstall your new video card.

Even I think that power supply is not giving enough power for your Video Card. So upgrading the power supply will solve your issue. Also first try to insert the power connection to your video card. Using another cable will be much better.
    If that is not working for you, then you will have to change your power supply.