Thread: BSOD Video Card or PSU? Or worse?

BSOD Video Card or PSU? Or worse?

System:

Mobo - Abit An8 32x SLI updated to last bios
    CPU - AMD FX-55 not over clocked
    Ram- 2 gig OCZ platinum
    PSU - PC Power and cooling 750
    Sound -onboard realtek
    Harddrive 36 gig raptor and a WD 250 IDE
    Video Cards two Nvidia 7900 gps x2
    Microsoft Keyboard
    logitech G5 laser mouse USB
    OS XP home - SP2 installed.

Had this rig for awile along with 2 Raptors in raid 0 and Creative xfi platinum and the 2 7900's in SLI.

About 5 months back I started getting sound stuttering in windows applications like spider solitair or while listening to music and watching video. Weird part was that game sounds were fine! Call Of Duty modern war fare, ET no issues while gaming. Only when listening to music,video playback and Spider Solitair. Spider Solitair would even stall out while cards were being dealt.

Reinstalled windows, problem went away for a few days. Then the stuttering would start. Tried all kinds of updated creative drivers and older versions. Nothing changed. Did a couple clean installs, even thought it might have been Service pack 3. Stuttering came back a couple days with or without SP3.

Tested my raptors with WD lifeguard. One raptor was bad. Thout that was the problem.

Did a clean install on my WD IDE drive.

Stuttering occured again. Yanked out the XFI and used Realteks onboard audio instead. Stuttering gone.

About 6 weeks ago I decided to upgrade my mouse to the g5 laser. Took awile to get it to recognize. No BSOD's or anything like that. Eventually it worked. Everything seemed fine. No issues with games.

About 3 weeks ago I decided to update my Video card drivers, all of a sudden I started getting periodic BSOD's(Machine_Check_exception).

Nvidia desktop control did not recognize SLI since that point..

I was able to use last known good configuration and everything seemed fine untill I rebooted. Then the same BSOD.

Problem got worse were last known config didnt work. Tried a couple clean installs but as soon as I installed the video drivers I would get Machine_Check BSOD. Sometimes during the actual installation and sometimes after the first reboot.

During several clean installs I was getting some real quick BSODS on the first reboot and during service pack 2 installation. This was without any drivers being installed. However I was finally able to get it up and running for a couple of days and then the BSOD machine_Machine_check started again.

Took both cards out and swapped them to see if that made a difference. One caused the BSOD and the other seemed fine. Thought was was just toasted.

Then the BSOD Machine_Check started again.

I have tried the earliest to the latest 7900 drivers and the same thing happens. However I am able to go into safe mode each and
    everytime.

Over this weekend I did several clean installs with each sepperate card. Everytime I install the Video drivers I get Machine_Machine_check on reboot.

Decided to plug the PSU directly to the wall socket instead of the surge protector. I am up and running now with Service pack 2. Im getting some real quick BSOD flashes then it reboots fine with last known configuration.

Memetest reported no errors.

Any suggestions? my PSU is cool to the touch, not warm at all.

Im trying to figure out what to buy first, new PSU or video card to see what the culprit is.

Bios Temps and voltages:

Temps:
    1. CPU=43C
    2.SYS =30C
    3.PWM=42C

Voltages

1. CPU= 1.43 rock steady

2. DDR= 2.61 -2.63 slight fluctuation

3.DDRvTT= 1.30 rock steady

4.HT = 1.21 Rock Steady

5.CPU VDDA = 2.53 rock steady

6.NB= 1.21 rock steady

7.SB = 1.53 - 1.54 slight fluctuation

8.ATX12v 24 pin connector = 12.13 rock steady

9.ATX 12v 4 pin = 12.19 rock steady

10. ATX +5v = 5.05 rock steady

11.ATX +3V =3.41 rock steady

12. ATX 5VSB = 5.05 Rock steady

Any suggestions?

Re: BSOD Video Card or PSU? Or worse?

Now one thing you can do is run your computer with basic component means disable extra hardware from bios also use onboard graphics support and try to boot from safe mode if this works then after login remove all drivers use ccleaner tio do that and then install all component again then try and see if that working ?

Did all that. AN8 32 X doesnt have on board graphics.

Did a clean install with the one card. Set restore points on every driver and did step by step. Got to the video card drivers and they ran fine as well.

Ran Ran Burn In test v4.0 and all tests passed except the Video card 2D Graphics.

I think you need to have a look at your graphics card. Either you need to upgrade its drivers or you need to update DirectX to the latest with the available update. If this doesn't help, you need to get a new card...

Pruchased a PNY 9800 gt 1024 mb DDR3 yesterday. When I openrfd it up I was shocked because it had no power connection. After looking at this card for awile I decided to put it in and give it a shot. No display. Yanked it back out. Put my old one in. Googled it and found found out there are several versions and mine doesnt connect to the PSU, it draws all its power from the PCIe slot. I have a PC POWER & Cooling 750, it exceeds the minimum requirements on the 12 volt rail.

I thought maybe my mobo just could distribult that kind of juice to the PCIe slot.

Yesterday I exchanged the card for a Galaxy 9500 gt , again no power supply but I got a display and bios recognized the card. Did a clean install on windows. I have an older version of XP, I have to up date to SP2 after the install. Everything went smooth, installed my chipset drivers.

Decided to play it safe and up date to SP3. No problems

Put the disk in, installed the Nvidia drivers and on reboot BSOD, machine_check_exception.....

Im running out of tricks here.