Thread: CMOS problem on Windows Xp

CMOS problem on Windows Xp

Just few days back i had bought a new brand system. I had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. Now the problem is that my brand new system fails to boot. So, one of my friend has suggested me to reset the CMOS. But after resetting the CMOS, it can be seen sitting and "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I don't understand why i'm facing such issue? What i need to do in order to resolve CMOS problem on Windows Xp? Does any body have any idea? Please help me to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: CMOS problem on Windows Xp

The most common cause of this problem is the CMOS battery, which can cause erratic behavior if it is poorly connected or weak. The BIOS settings that you use to control how your PC works must be saved in non-volatile memory so that they are preserved even when the machine is off. The data stored in CMOS memory that controls the BIOS settings has become corrupted. This is usually seen in a warning or error message when the PC is booted, since the CMOS has a checksum value that is used to allow the BIOS to detect when the settings have become corrupted.

If you have created a backup copy of your CMOS settings then use them to restore the settings to the correct values. Double check the BIOS chips themselves, if the are socket mounted, not the #1 pin marking and carefully pry the chip from the socket, and inspect the pins, doubtful the problem is there, but check anyway. Then remount the chip(s). Sometimes the chips can be re-seated without un-mounting them by just pressing on the tops, but I don't recommend this without firm support behind the circuit board.

In order to resolve the above issue, you need to ensure the BIOS setting is been configured correctly or not on your machine. After that you need to unplug the BIOS chip and then plug the BIOS chip back to the motherboard. At lats you also need to update the BIOS version with the latest one on your machine.