Thread: Intel Core 2 Quad Problem

Intel Core 2 Quad Problem

Recently i had upgraded my PC and currently and have installed the Asus Striker Extreme motherboard along with Intel Core 2 Quad processor and 2 GB of PC2-6400 Crucial RAM. I was playing “Command an Conquer Red Alert 3” with higher settings its working fine for about 15 to 20 minuets then the PC Restarted automatically the same thing happened to all other games “FARCRY 2” and “CRYSIS warhead” then I lower the graphics settings to very low and tested it. his time the system did not Restart automatically the games are working fine in lower graphics’ settings but the problem arise again when I set the graphics setting back to higher. Is there any kind of problem with my Intel Core 2 Quad processor? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: Intel Core 2 Quad Problem

It isn´t a processor with four execution cores like AMD´s future K8L but a pair of Core 2 Duos in the same package using the same Socket. You need thermal compound, like Arctic Silver or Arctic Cooling MX. I am not sure but maybe its the metal of the fansink. Make sure the push pins are going through all the way to the back of the motherboard. Use a roll of duct tape for support and push hard.

Make sure you look specifically on the power required on the +12v rails. You can try to clean out any dust from it so that it's free to spin if not then you'll have to get a new one. Rather than having a single core that tries to juggle all these strenuous tasks, multiple cores can work together, executing work simultaneously. It's a big risk that the processor will be damaged running without proper cooling, the CPU will lower its performance as much as it can to try and save it's self from being damaged so it might work but it will be running poorly.

Make sure in game settings aren't overly demanding. Intel's 45nm chips have issues with core temps not going BELOW a certain threshold but they are generally accurate ABOVE that threshold. To fix the problem (in case someone else runs into this thread), you have to download the latest BIOS firmware. fter this and the reboot, it found the CPU and detected it correctly. It no longer says CPU Over Temperature and you can see the temperature fluctuating in the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS.