Thread: Asus M2a-VM ram issue

Asus M2a-VM ram issue

I bought two new sticks of 2 gb ddr2 ram 800mhz and installed it in my motherboard asus m2a-vm. I tried to install Windows XP and after the Bios load i get lots of memory errors. So I took out one of the sticks and put only 1stick this time and no problems, Windows XP started installing fine? What could be the problem here? Thanks for any help.

Re: Asus M2a-VM ram issue

I think that your motherboard is pretty old and it might hold up to only 1gb of ram. There are some problems if too much of ram is put in the motherboard that cant read or write either of them, let it be asus or any other old board. If you are unsure then you can also read your mobo manual for how much ram is supported by your motherboard. Hope that helps

It is most likely to be an issue of ram or the settings in the Bios, if you have changed the RAM only. So, I will first try to use only the first stick, then the other at a time in order to verify that both sticks are good. Try switching the DIMMs you installed them in also in case there is a problem with the motherboard. If the hardware is good then you may have to look in to the RAM settings in BIOS, as some motherboards are pretty picky about settings when using 4GB of RAM.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

What is the make / model of the ram that you are using? There is also the chance that upgrading to the newest BIOS would help. I noticed that the 1603 BIOS for your board notes increased compatibility with some memory. Here is the link to ASUS's download page for that board.
    http://corsair.com/configurator/prod...aspx?id=417826
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!