Thread: Power on failure on Dell XPS 400

Power on failure on Dell XPS 400

I am running a Dell XPS 400 with WinXP SP2. Following a system freeze leading to a Blue Screen, I tried a manual reboot. The system failed to power up. The Power button LED displays a flashing amber light instead of the usual green. According to the Dell On-Line Technical wizard, this would indicate a power supply problem. I opened up the system and verified that the motherboard does show evidence of power (green LED streadily on). I powered down everything, let it sit overnight and tried again -- with the same result: no boot, flashing amber light on the Power button.

The system is only 3 years old and it would kill me to have to junk it. Being out of warranty, it would cost me a minimum of $500 to ship it to Dell for repair which comes pretty close to the price of a brand new system.

Any alternative thought as to how to proceed from here would be welcome.

Re: Power on failure on Dell XPS 400

You can buy a 350w power supply for your XPS 400 desktop system. If your system is out of warranty then you can remove the power supply unit from your case and then replace it manually. As there is no warranty the you can even hire a technician and fix up the issue. Otherwise you can hire a technician for the same. A 375W power supply will cost around $50 to $70 approx.

Re: Power on failure on Dell XPS 400

I never herd that Blue Screen error due to power supply unit there must be other hardware peripheral problem but you can check your power supply by connecting to other computer then disable all extra peripheral on mother board from bios.