Thread: Dead computer with blinking light on motherboard.

Dead computer with blinking light on motherboard.

Hi friends,

I have built a computer recently got some problems now.My system has refused to boot.Nothing turns on or spins up at all.It will work when I unplug it, take the side panel off, and then unplug and reconnect the main 24-pin connector that routes power from the power supply to the motherboard.I should mention that before I take this step, there is a green light on the motherboard that blinks, and then turns solid when things are back to normal. The first two times I did this, the light returned back to normal right away. The third time, I had to wait a few minutes, and then as I was watching it and quickly turned back on.For the most part, my computer runs just fine, except when this happens. Now I’m almost scared to turn the damn thing off.Does any one here able to recognize the issue and give a perfect remedy??

any ideas will be brilliant..!!

Re: Dead computer with blinking light on motherboard.

Hey probe your connectors on that 20/24 pin connector. Are they black/brown/melted/discolored? If not, I suspect either a short or a bad PSU. I'd try taking the motherboard out, and setting it up on a non-static bag or cardboard box to see if that works to eliminate a short to your case. Failing that.I would attempt and get a spare PSU from either another machine or a friend to swap in to see if it works.

You did not indicated how many USB devices are connected, any of which are high power devices.Some motherboards will work with all the USB devices from the +5VSB rail, which is not very bright. If you connect in a USB "coffee warmer", that might be enough to overload it.The green LED is connected to +5VSB. If the load on +5VSB is too much, the green LED will turn off, until the overload is removed. Occasionally, there is a functional issue with the power supply itself, and the flashing green nothing to do with the loading. So it could be a bad power supply.The green LED on the motherboard, is connected directly to +5VSB, so monitors its every move. There should not be any logic devices in the way. If the LED flashes, that means the power supply is turning on and off, which is why that green LED is a very good indicator of how well the power supply is doing. The LED should never flash, and should be on steady and solid.

I know that a bad/shorted PSU will be responsible for this kind of stupid things with the motherboard .Check the 20/24 pin connector and the receptor on the motherboard, as well as any other plugs and receptors that go into the motherboard for signs of burning and melting. If another PSU doesn't work, then I doubt a motherboard short or a infected motherboard.