Thread: How much ram is needed in a new computer?

How much ram is needed in a new computer?

hi
    i am going to buy new computer but some one told me to make sure ram value high about to 4gb but i am not sure about this can some one tell me how much ram is needed in a new computer?
    thank you

Re: How much ram is needed in a new computer?

there is performance can be increased with ram but all combination with all peripheral must be in the favor so so if you have much higher performance cpu you can work better with even 1gb ...so over all performance is depend on the all peripherals

Higher frequency better performance but first you need to check on you motherboard that it is required that motherboard should have support for that frequency also use good quality ram from good brand like corsair ..

Microsoft Windows Vista has feature called ReadyBoost which intended to augment PCs with low amounts of system memory so Vista might run faster but that is not the practical as most users complain about that well also for 64bit and 32 bit computer performance is different check here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ns/64-bit.aspx also http://www.kingston.com/windowsvista/vista_faq.asp

If you are planing to use 32bit version of Windows it can only see 3,25 GB of memory, 64bit can see more than that. Don't know about Vista, never used it. I will give you advice, more memory more stabile computer even when multitasking so you know the best your needs. I have 2Gb and it works just fine with phenom x4 9550, but i'm thinking about buying 4Gb of memory.

Hi Nilima,

Increasing just the memory and expecting a good performance is probably short sighted. Unless the rest of the components match up to use the memory with faster clock rates - Remember the motherboard also needs to be good, a cpu @ 2+G or a 64-bit, how about the hard disk performance - 7200 RPM disk with 16/32MB cache should be helpful in transfering the data faster from the disk.

But all these factors, depend on the applications that you use. Games, multimedia based applications, heavy compilations utilize much more resources than a simple internet browser, a file browser and watching movies.

Ultimately, its only a trade off with your purse capacity. And the important point is you will always get a better system than what you buy in the next 6 months

Remember, Bloatware OSes will make your investment suck.

Happy hunting....

RAM is used every time you open an application, download, play a game or simply turn on your computer. Additionally if you work with or plan to work with digital audio and video more ram is a necessity. I used the beta versions with a 1 Gb machine and they worked fine. I upgraded to 2 Gb in both of my Windows Vista machines so I could run virtual machine software. For normal application mixes, I think 1 Gb will probably do the trick.

mine is ig
    according which os u will chose
    xp:1g (enough)
    vista/2008/7:2G

How much ram is needed in a new computer?

Selecting a RAM totally depends upon your application which you are going to use it for example if you are planning to have graphic application software like Photoshop, Auto cad etc then in Windows XP i would you to have minimum of 2gb RAM and in Windows Vista 4gb RAM. If you have capacity to have more RAM then i would suggest you to have at least 4gb RAM whether you are having Windows XP or Vista.

Hello hlcfan
    Can you plz be more specific?
    Give your configuration in detail. So we can help you better.
    xp:1g (enough)
    vista/2008/7:2G
    Edit/Delete Message
    This is correct but only Ram wont improve your machine performance. Processor & Motherboard are the main components. Ram is just memory.
    For graphic works & Games a Video Card is must for better results.

I understand that Vista will run ok on 1GB, however it is usually recommended that you use at least 2GB for it to run to it's full potential... Of course, it is also important that you have a decent processor as well as the higher memory.