Thread: Motherboard won't power up

Motherboard won't power up

I have an emachines model s2485 and for the last few weeks when it was left on for a while the monitor would go blank and would not come back on until I restarted the computer. The other day I tried to turn the computer on and its dead. I verified that the power supply is good by puting it in another computer. I disconected everything from the mother board except the power supply and tried that and its dead. When I put the power supply in another computer the power supply fan started up but in the emachines the fan won't run. The tests I have done so far tell me the problem is in the mother board. I think it might be a fuse or relay but these days you can not look at the circuit board and identify a fuse. I think I should be able to find a relay. Please Help.

Re: Motherboard won't power up

Try it connected to another computer, such as on the 3 pin header for a case fan - if it works, the emachines PS is not putting out +12v, or the mboard is damaged and the circuits to the cpu fan header are fried. u just unplug all the cable from cpu and hold the power button for 1 minute and again plug all the cables.if it won't work then swap the RAM into next slot and clean the dusts if any near the clips.One would need hands on access to the computer. I could be the power supply the motherboard takes different voltages than the fans. The fans on proves nothing about the power supply.

Re: Motherboard won't power up

Try removing bios baterry for a minute an then put it back in. For me it worked few times