Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 21-07-2009

Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Hi,

I'm building a new Intel quad core system and want to use Windowss xp 64 bit os, I want to update my old 2 CPU Athlon system for a faster/bigger/wider quad-core system. I want to know, does Windows XP x64 professional supports Intel Quad Core 2 processors ??? Basically i want a 64-bit OS to run my 64-bit processor and 64-bit programs, and some 32-bit programs. Can x64 do all this with stability?

Thank for your suggestions ???

Old 21-07-2009

Re: Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Windows XP x64 is limited to two processors, but it counts by socket, not by core. Windows XP 64-bit, it was designed for dual Core's and that's all that's out there now. That's why, two dual-core processors would show up and work properly as 4 processors in Windows XP x64. Windows XP Home runs supports single processor w/quad core and windows XP Pro runs with two processors w/quad cores.
Old 21-07-2009

For 32bit processors - windows XP is limited to 2 processors for licensing reasons, not technical (same as the 10 inbound connection limit). However, there are a lot of devices and manufacturers that don't provide drivers for Win XP x64 and the drivers for x86/32-bit will not work properly. Quad Core processor has little effect one way or the other because your applications still have to be written to use multiple cores.
Old 21-07-2009

Windows XP license is for 1-2 processor(s). 2003 entreprise license is limited to 8 processors. Though it's possible you might see error messages, especially during installs. I'm not sure if the datacenter license can support more. Since very few consumer applications are multi-core "aware", the advantage is that different apps can be run on different cores.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: , , , ,