Thread: Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Hi,

I'm building a new Intel quad core system and want to use Windowss xp 64 bit os, I want to update my old 2 CPU Athlon system for a faster/bigger/wider quad-core system. I want to know, does Windows XP x64 professional supports Intel Quad Core 2 processors ??? Basically i want a 64-bit OS to run my 64-bit processor and 64-bit programs, and some 32-bit programs. Can x64 do all this with stability?

Thank for your suggestions ???

Re: Does Windows xp x64 supports Intel quad-core processors

Windows XP x64 is limited to two processors, but it counts by socket, not by core. Windows XP 64-bit, it was designed for dual Core's and that's all that's out there now. That's why, two dual-core processors would show up and work properly as 4 processors in Windows XP x64. Windows XP Home runs supports single processor w/quad core and windows XP Pro runs with two processors w/quad cores.

For 32bit processors - windows XP is limited to 2 processors for licensing reasons, not technical (same as the 10 inbound connection limit). However, there are a lot of devices and manufacturers that don't provide drivers for Win XP x64 and the drivers for x86/32-bit will not work properly. Quad Core processor has little effect one way or the other because your applications still have to be written to use multiple cores.

Windows XP license is for 1-2 processor(s). 2003 entreprise license is limited to 8 processors. Though it's possible you might see error messages, especially during installs. I'm not sure if the datacenter license can support more. Since very few consumer applications are multi-core "aware", the advantage is that different apps can be run on different cores.