Thread: random shutdown, help

random shutdown, help

My pc shut down unexpectedly then restarts right away or it freeze, all this happens randomly

It happen when I scan the pc with AVG free or copying things
    But when I watch or convert video it restarts or freezes from anywhere between 2- 10 mins,

I have reinstalled vista in a new hdd same thing happens, it also restarts in ubuntu 9.04 or safe mode in vista.

Memtest86 shows no error, prime 95 mostly freezes sometimes restarts in less than a min.

I cleaned out the dust in the heatsink and fan, the temp drop by 5c and I was able to run prime 95
    for 1 hour( I stopped the test, didn’t freeze or restart) when I did the BLEND test, but the IN PLACE
    LARGE FFTs test restarts when the temp reaches 64 -65, which took 30 mins.

My cpu is intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4 GHZ

So I thought it was over heating but when I streamed a video or watch a video and the temp is 53-54 it restarts in 2-10 mins, same thing with converting ( temp is 60-61).

I tried out 3 different PSUs, and they all restarts and show the same voltage with CPUID and speedfan. The voltages are

SPEEDFAN
    Vcore1 : 128v
    Vcore2 : 3.02v
    +3.3v : 3.33v
    +5v : 5.11v
    +12v : Fluctuates min that I have seen is 5.25
    -12v : -1.75v
    -5v : -4.15v
    +5v : 5.11v
    vbat : 3.17v

is this an error, or is the motherboard causing this?

CPUID show the same voltages except the -12 is min = -11.90v max = 11.71v

And +12 is min = 4.22v max shows 13.63

my current graphics card is h4850 and I have tried out my old x1550 and the same thing happens

there are no bsod, the screem goes black and 1 second later it restarts

Is there a good and prefer free virus scanning software, and how do I find out what is causing this?

Sorry for the long post

This have been happening for 2 weeks and I really need help, thanks

Re: random shutdown, help

Make sure that it completely shut down or restarts in loop continuously after freeze also do you get any error message ? mostly such problem can be due to hardware failure but since you have replaced psu and test memory now try to work some times with safe mode..and see what happen also make sure you dont have bad sectors on hard disk.

form how I see it, it doesn't shut down then restarts, it looks like it just restarts after the screem goes black, but in the event viewer system log there is an error that says unexpected shut down.

when it freezes the image is there and if there is sound, it like a half a second of sound being played back in a infinit loop and the fans are still spin.

the hdd is new and I did some scan and no bad sectors, but my old hdd was a raid 0 it had a bad sector and I cloned vista from it, then I reinstalled vista from a recovery disk.

in safe mode when I watch, convert video, copy things or avg scan same thing happens

I think it may be a power supply issue because the most common problem for random reboots is a faulty power supply.

thanks for all the help

it seem to be the motherboardm, I replaced it and it's working for a day now