Thread: Benefits of AHCI

Benefits of AHCI

Hello,
    I just bought a new Gigabyte motherboard having a SATA disk in the bios I've seen several options AHCI and IDE RAID I do not want to mount my disk raid. I would like to know what is AHCI mode? What are the benefits of AHCI mode can any one tell me ?
    thank you

Re: Benefits of AHCI

Advanced Host Controller Interface is called AHCI ,which is a programming-specification which defines the operation of Serial ATA host-controllers also known as host bus adapters, in a non implementation-specific manner. The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors to exchange data between host system memory and attached storage-devices. AHCI is fully supported out of the box for Microsoft Windows Vista and the Linux operating system but there is some problem exist with AHCI check here details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AHCI

This BIOS feature controls the AHCI function of the SATA controller.When enabled, the SATA controller enables its AHCI features when the computer boots up. When disabled, the SATA controller disables its AHCI functions when the computer boots up. If you would like to make use of the SATA controller's AHCI features, you should enable this BIOS feature. But please note that enabling this feature requires you to load the SATA controller driver during the Windows XP installation. If you do not intend to use the AHCI features, it's recommended that you disable this BIOS feature. This allows you to use the native Windows XP driver. You will not need to load the SATA controller driver during the Windows XP installation every time. Please note that changing this BIOS feature after installing the operating system may cause a boot failure. You may be required to reinstall the operating system.So if your drive supports the SATA NCQ, it is better to use this mode, otherwise, remain in FDI.

AHCI has some really good features which can be use to improve performance, lower the cpu usage also save energy. AHCI has much better support for big hdds and for swap.You must install the AHCI driver when installing the OS