Thread: Help moving files

kjstrickland Guest

blush Help moving files

The motherboard on my old laptop fried. Completely out. Won't boot up at all. I have a new laptop. Both are HP Pavillion, both with Windows Vista 32 bit. Is there any way that I can retrieve my old files? I am in no way a computer genius, but I can follow directions. Is this something I want to try myself, or do I need to call my little brother (the computer systems engineer) (I really don't want the 'what have you done now' lecture!) Thanks for any help!

Re: Help moving files

You can retrieve the old file if the hard drive of your laptop is working. You will need a technical guy for that. Then you will have to remove the hard drive from the system and place the hard drive in other laptop of same model. Second option you can try is an IDE to USB converter cable. This cable will allow you to connect the hard disk to your new laptop via usb cable. You will have search on the net for the matching cable for your hard drive connection.

Well, go through some troubleshooting to make the laptop boot up. First of all unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Than hold the power button for few seconds and replug it. Now try to start, once the laptop has already started and is booting windows, then plug the battery back in. I also guess there is a BSOD hiding in there somewhere.Try to boot the system in safe mode and if you get an option to "Disable Restart on Failure" choose that option and hit Return.

First unmount the hard disk , to this you have to open your notebook, see the notebook manual for this. There is much way of recovering the data of a laptop hard disk, the simplest way is to connect your hard disk to another PC. With this intention you must use either a 2.5' ' usb or firewire drive enclosure or a laptop hard drive adaptor kit 2.5 to 3.5 inch IDE hdd. Once connected simply copy the data of your laptop hard disk towards your PC.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

A lot of ways to do that, you can use the adpater [2.5 to 3.5] or get a IDE/SATA to usb converter Connect your hard disk to teh converter and connect the converter to the usb of the new laptop, Then copy it to the new hard disk. You can use the old hard disk with the adapter as a portable hard disk too...