Thread: BIOS 0612 Hardware Virtualization supported

BIOS 0612 Hardware Virtualization supported

Hello
    I am using Intel Core2 Duo E6850 CPU and 8GB PC6400 RAM on Asus P5K Premium-Wifi/AP motherboard with BIOS revision 0612. i have installed Vista Ultimate x64, planning to put Windows Server 2008 x64 on it and use it as a Hyper-V server, when i replace this computer my CPU supports hardware visualization. so am asking that what is your opinion about Hyper-V on my motherboard? can i get optimized experience?

any ideas should be brilliant

Re: BIOS 0612 Hardware Virtualization supported

Me just flashed the Bios due to a Critical Bios Patch posting on the Lenovo Support site. so possibly after patching,searched out for my Virtual Server. which support Sharepoint Servers 2003-2007 and have scaled down copies on my laptop. after restarting the computer there was no change on the BIOS GUI. everything was the same no option was there to enable Intel VT. I then went back to windows and checked my VPC and the check box was still there and still alterable.so you must be careful with this kind of things

I guess you need additional BIOS update in order to enable Hardware Virtualization . Some OEMs can choose to disable VT depending on the type of CPU that you have on Ibtel's recommendation.Intel Virtualization Technology can improve the performance and robustness of today's software virtual machine solutions by providing some Virtualization tasks in hardware. Tasks done by hardware can be faster than when done in software. It's not a full replacement for Virtualization software. If you want VT-d, or directed I/O, you need, I believe an Intel 'Q' series chipset board.

Now new Intel CPUs, basically allows a thread to execute up to any system calls and privileged mandate,then it traps by some exception mechanism. Some Itantiums and AMD CPUs have a similar feature.I say this as a user who runs several virtual machines on my desktop for testing and educational purposes. The recent few revs of the Linux kernel have an interface called kvm which provides a way for user level programs to access this hardware virtualization.I think when the machine gets retired to become a server I will go for a quad-core Q-series CPU to get the most benefit from Hyper-V.