Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Computer does not boot at first time

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 08-07-2009

sad Computer does not boot at first time

Guys,I am going totally crazy with a persistent PC problem which occurs randomly and erratically,as stated below:

After I turn on my PC after a gap of ,say 5 hours,here is what happens in exact sequence:

1)I switch on the main power
2)I switch on my UPS
3)I switch on my Power Button
4)Power LED(Blue) turns on.
5)HDD LED turns on for .3 secs and then goes off
6)Monitor turns from Active Power Mode to Standby Mode.
7)All the Cabinet fans and SMPS,CPU and GPU fans are running fine.
8)BIOS does not go to post.System freezed.
8)Now I press the power button for 3-4 seconds.
9)Machine boots fine.XP/Vista runs fine.

I have changed my CMOS battery.Reset my BIOS.Even updated my BIOS with the latest ROM file.Problem persists.

Here are my BIOS details:
Model: P5Q-E
Version:2101
Chipset:Eaglelake
BIOS type:AMI
BIOS Size:2048K

Could it be a HDD problem?Could it be a problem with BIOS itself?Could it be a heat issue?

Please suggest as I've lost all sleep and peace of mind.

My SMPS is brand new.

My config:
C2D E7300 @2.66GHz| ASUS P5Q-E | Palit Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 | Corsair 800Mhz 2X2GB 5-5-5-18 | Seagate 500GB 7200.11 |Corsair TX 650W PSU

Old 08-07-2009

Re: Frustrating problem!Please help!Anyone!!

Check all internal connection as there can be chance of some loose connection also other wise the problem is inside your motherboard so that it takes much time to respond to components..
Old 08-07-2009

Re: Computer does not start at on go

Such a problem can be caused by heating. Just to make sure, get a Thermal Paste/grease/compound from a radio shack. If you can get Arctic Silver 5, it will be great or you can try Anabond. Just clean the processor surface clean and apply a very little amount at the center of the processor to make a line say about 1mm thick and 2 cm in length. Just put on the heat sink and fan and brackets. Now let it dry for say half hour and start the machine. If its working fine then its a good news else, i would recommend you to check the memory.
Old 08-07-2009

Re: Computer does not start at on go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
Such a problem can be caused by heating. Just to make sure, get a Thermal Paste/grease/compound from a radio shack. If you can get Arctic Silver 5, it will be great or you can try Anabond. Just clean the processor surface clean and apply a very little amount at the center of the processor to make a line say about 1mm thick and 2 cm in length. Just put on the heat sink and fan and brackets. Now let it dry for say half hour and start the machine. If its working fine then its a good news else, i would recommend you to check the memory.

How do I check if RAM is working okay or not??
Radio shack means?Any electronic shop???
Old 08-07-2009

Re: Computer does not boot at first time

Here is a small checklist which you can check in case of such issue. First check the main power cord attached to power plug which which is working. Then see the power supply. Checkout the on/off switch and see weather any button is not stucked on the cpu at the front. Like the reset button or power button. If still nothing happens then remove all the external cables like mouse, keyboard and monitor. Plug then back again. There must be a bip sound at the time of boot up. If you does not hear it that means the power is not reaching the motherboard. Remove the power supply pin form the board and place it back again. Check thoroughly all the cables. It is not a big issue but only due to some improper connection.
Old 09-07-2009

Guys the problem,I think ,has been solved!For the past few days,it seems that one corner of my Mobo had been grounded to the metal chassis,due to the nut coming loose..This led to voltage fluctuations and subsequent booting problems.Now the machine boots fine with a single beep everytime.

My question is:Is there a possibility that my Mobo,specially the condensers & capacitors situated near the grounded portion,has already been damaged to some extent?Is there any way to know if my Mobo is perfectly all right?

Last edited by Amitava83 : 09-07-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2009

Obviously some cable was wrong, make sure you have really attached everything according to their manual.
Old 09-07-2009

When you had purchased a motherboard, you might have received a manual or broucher along with it. Such manuals are very useful, you can check whether all the components are connected and fitted properly with your motherboard. They provide you certain pictures and screenshots to check..

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: , , , , ,