Thread: Future proof PC configuration for gaming

question Future proof PC configuration for gaming

Hi all.
    First of all thanks to all for running this wonderful forum. I find it very useful for sharing knowledge.
    I’m planning to buy a desktop solely for gaming. I’ve already updated my system (MOBO, processor, RAM) 4 times in last 9 years. This time want a future proof PC. At least I want a future proof mobo because I’ve experienced changing mobo is a big headache. That’s what I’ve decided to buy a DDR3 support mobo as I know within a year or two DDR2 will be obsolete. I’ve few qs regarding mobo, processor and graphics (although I’ve decided to buy ATI HD 4870 1GB)

In this thread I’m just putting the mobo and processor related queries.

1. A> There are 3 mobo in my mind. Intel DP45SG, ASUS P5QC and ASUS P5Q3 or P5K3.
    DP45SG would have been a great option (as it cost only Rs.7400 approx) until I’ve seen some negative feedback like outdated bios, PCI x16 slot working on 8x only etc. Do any one have any experience with this mobo??

B> I also need a feedback for ASUS P5QC.

C>ASUS P5Q3 or P5K3 (really don’t know whether they are diff or not - if u know please tell me) is really a good mobo but I don’t know whether it is available in India or not. (I’m from Kolkata currently working on Chennai).
    If anyone knows its current price and availability (preferably in Chennai or Kolkata) please let me know.

D> Lastly if you have any suggestion regarding good DDR3 mobo other than these 3 please tell me. My budget is max Rs.14000

2. I don’t want to spent much on processor. I’ve desided to buy Core 2 Duo E7400.

A>Will it be enough to play hi-end games like Crysis, Prototype, Farcry 2 and upcoming games like Wolfenstein, COD: Modern warfare 2, splinter cell conviction etc. (I’ll be having 4GB DDR3 RAM and HD 4780)??

B> Is processor really a issue for gamming if I’m having a very good graphics card and more than adequate RAM??

C>My decision for buying a lower end processor is because first of all it will save at least 4k to 5k (compare to a Quad core) and as I’m going for a good mobo I can change my processor 3- 4 years down the line. At that time I can buy a Core 2 duo extreme at lower price.
    Do you have anything to recommend??

Re: Future proof PC configuration for gaming

The best option in mobo is the ASUS P5QC.

ASUS P5Q3 or P5K3 are available in India don't know about, availability in Chennai go to nearest dealer to conform .

See this thread for more help Top ddr3 motherboard

Dont worry about the processor is fine for gaming you just need good memory like 2 to 4gb .

What graphic card you have ? by the look to the half Spec it can easily run high games like far cry 2, Prototype Game

ThumbsUp Re: Future proof PC configuration for gaming

Thanks Sebastian.
    Do you have any idea about the current price of P5Q3 or P5K3??
    I'm gonna buy an ATI Radeon HD 4870 (XFX of MSI). Will it be enough for the upcoming next gen games as well??

Yes ATI Radeon HD 4870 will be enough for the present as well as for futures games for at least few years. And P5Q3 is really good choice, here you can get more info about this : ASUS P5Q Series Motherboards
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

idea Re: Future proof PC configuration for gaming

P5QC is a combo mobo with slot for both DDR 2 and DDR 3.
    Can I run both DDR 2 and DDR3 (of same frequency i.e. 1066 MHz) simultaneously??

Quote Originally Posted by bigblow View Post
    Can I run both DDR 2 and DDR3 (of same frequency i.e. 1066 MHz) simultaneously??
    If your motherboard has both ddr2 and ddr3 memory support then it will let you run only one type, if you use DDR2 you won't be able to use DDR3 at the same time. But that depends, you may check by testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblow View Post
    Do not try to run both types of RAM [DDR2 and DDR3] togather. It is not supported and even not recommended. If you end up screwing the motherboard, it won't be repaired as this will void your warranty...