Thread: Dell Laptop of 8 GB Ram runs only under 4GB Ram

Dell Laptop of 8 GB Ram runs only under 4GB Ram

I have recently purchased new Dell laptop with the following configuration
    • Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T4200 (2GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
    • 8GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x4096]
    • 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    • Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD
    • Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Basic

When i check for my RAM size it shows only 4GB of Ram, where my factory configuration says I have 8Gb Ram, so i have no idea what has happened with my remaining 4 Gb OF Ram, I have contact to dell support but unable to get any support from them. Please help

Re: Dell Laptop of 8 GB Ram runs only under 4GB Ram

I think you need to check whether you have a 64-bit version to see all 8GB of that RAM. You need a 64 bit OS to use all 8 gig.The BIOS sees and reports it correctly, it's just that Windows XP (x86 or 32 bit) cannot address all of it. 8GB is the maximum amount of RAM that a 32-bit operating system can address. So even if the RAM is present and found by the BIOS, the important part is the ability to address it.The best time, in my view, for the masses to switch to a 64-bit version of Windows is when vendors, such as Dell, HP, SONY, Toshiba, Gateway, etc., start building them for consumers.

The reason why your system is limited to 4GB the reason that, most likely comes from an operational decision since not even Microsoft can change the physical realities of the machines they support. You'll also need to find out the exact laptop model and chipset to find out if 8GB is doable hardware wise. The program and data file sizes you see on your screen is not the reality. It is so much common cause that more space is used than shown that the discussion was dropped years ago. The machines we use today is rigged so that that issue surfaces as little as possible.

The one thing is very clear that it is no way to get all 8GB of RAM to be actually accessible by any 64-bit operating system. However, you should not upgrade to a 128-bit operating system because you'll get a lot of grief from incompatible software and drivers. I have also even check that Vista SP1 reports 4GB of RAM because the way they display the amount of RAM installed has changed, but can still only use 7GB of RAM tops.

Thats the biggest loada rubbish I have ever heard. There is only 1 128 bit operating system out today and that would be Solaris. There are no 128 bit cpu's out to date so don't talk out of your ass.

You will need a 64 bit version of Vista or xp to be able to use all your ram. A 32 bit version of xp can address 3.5GB of RAM MAX. It can see 4GB but doesn't mean it can use it.

64 bit versions of windows can address anything into the hundreds of thousands of megabyes and therefore the way forward. Linux / unix have had 64 bit operating systems out for years you could also make your way over to those if you wish to.