Thread: Compaq Evo d300v BIOS and RAM issue

Compaq Evo d300v BIOS and RAM issue

Hi,
    I have Compaq Evo d300v system in my office. I had installed windows xp on it. To upgrade the system I had installed a 512 RAM on it. But after putting the RAM the system does not boot at all. So I replace the old RAM. But a series of problem emerged after that time. First of all I am not able to boot from a CD. Even after giving a boot priority device in the cmos my system is booting straight from hard drive. o I played a bit with the BIOS. Now I am getting a error message. S Invalid electronic serial number 162-Options Not Set. Please help.

Re: Compaq Evo d300v BIOS and RAM issue

Compaq is very picky in case of RAM. To get a RAM upgrade you will need to ensure that the model of RAM is same as compare to old. You cannot just put any RAM. It must be fully compatible with the mother board. For eg. RAM varies in MHz. Like a 1 GB RAM comes in three type like around 500Mhz, 667 Mhz, etc. So it possible that the memory which you are trying to put is not same as the old one. The detail description you can get at the boot screen of bios.

Your BIOS is corrupted. Because by default the CMOS save the user setting. It is not affiliated with the OS. Try to change the battery on the motherboard. Get the exact battery by showing the old one and replace it. It still the problem persist download a bios flash utility from the net. The upgrade version of your BIOS you get on the hp website. It is a freeware service. Second thing you can try to run the set up from windows. Insert the windows cd and navigate to the setup.exe file from cd and run the setup.

To recover from the error try this. Turn the system completely off and insert a bootable disk. Then press the function key and turn your system on. Then press continuously press F11 key. Hope you can enter the bios. Other wise just press simple F2. It is better that you should flash your cmos. Flashing your bios will remove the error and other issues also.