Thread: Need help in upgrading RAM for my dad's computer

Need help in upgrading RAM for my dad's computer

Hi
    My dad's computer, an HCL ezeebe intel p4 @ 2.26 ghz - 128ddr/40gb hdd needs an upgrade. He has had some problem with the UPS and that has been fixed. The faulty UPS compunded with an electrical surge had affected the SMPS and that too had to be replaced.
    Now, he had been complaining about the slowness of the computer - for which I am wondering which of the two options to propose to him. He uses it mostly for browsing and some editing.

1) I can suggest a 2GB upgrade in RAM. Easy, any low-end options ? He checked for 1GB RAM (dont know the make), which came to Rs 1300 odd. Any particular make he needs to be aware of. I am not sure of what the motherboard might be (he lives in cmbtr and I in bnglr) - but going by some past posts, I think it would be gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ.

2) Get a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. What would be a low-end, less than Rs 5000 upgrade in motherboard and CPU upgrade ?

Thanks,
    Ashok

Re: Need help in upgrading RAM for my dad's computer

Hey There!
    People has a misunderstanding that RAM is responsible for speed of the computer. But this is not the case. RAM is responsible for swapping files in and out which is done by Processor, so RAM just holds data that is being used. More amount of RAM can speed up your computer by holding more data in memory, but the actually speed depends on the processor. Also DDR RAM is used in a P4 based computer. Just check out how costly it is as compared to DDR2. I would suggest you to upgrade your entire PC. A new computer with Core2Duo processor, 2GB Ram with graphics card and LCD Monitor can cost upto max Rs. 27,000/- to Rs. 28,000/- If you can't spend at the moment, just wait for some time till you can buy a nice computer. And new technologies are evolving day by day, who knows you may get a better computer then i have described in less then the amount...!

Re: Need help in upgrading RAM for my dad's computer

The best option would be to just upgrade your pc . If you want it for just browsing and some editing. you can go for low upgrade between 10,000 to 12,000 ( motherboard, CPU and RAM )