Thread: Velociraptor not seen on ASUS K8V Deluxe

unsure Velociraptor not seen on ASUS K8V Deluxe

I currently have a problem with a WD Velociraptor 300GB to be installed on a ASUS K8V Deluxe motherboard. This drive is not seen as a SATA drive when trying to install XP on it. I have tried to install this on all 4 SATA ports. The error message I get is either bios not installed or no operating system installed. This drive is not seen at all in the bios. I have installed Raptors on this motherboard in the past with no problems at all. Did WD change something or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried putting a jumper across 5 and 6 to limit speed from 3.0 to 1.5. Also I tried putting a jumper across 1 and 2 to disable SSC. The drive is a model WD3000HLFS .I would also try this drive with a PCI SATA 3.0 card if it would help. I haven't tried messing with the bios yet, but I may have to. A friend hooked this drive up as a USB drive and was able to write and read files from it. I have a total of 4 drives installed on this system. A 500GB WD drives on primary and secondary SATA. A Raptor on SATA1 and a 1TB drive on SATA2. The 1TB drive has a jumper limiting it to 1.5. I tried removing the jumper and the same problem as when I try the 3.0 Raptor. The system will not boot and the error message about no bios installed pops up. If I jumper pins 5 and 6 on the 3.0 Raptor this should take care of this problem but it doesn't. So apparently this jumper either has no effect or I have a problem with the bios. I'll call WD and see what they say about the jumper.

Re: Velociraptor not seen on ASUS K8V Deluxe

I would suggest you to try using the speed limit jumper. Also change the hard disk priority in the BIOS. If this doesn't work, you will need a SATA drivers for XP. But first your BIOS should detect the disk. Then try to update your BIOS if one is available...

In reply to the Velociraptor problem you are experiencing. You are in luck because I happen to have a great deal of experience with them.
    1st I suggest you try updating your BIOS to the latest version (go to the ASUS site for instructions).
    2nd verify that your SATA cables were good by switching with a known working drive. Also check your power supply and verify that your 12vdc is present.
    I'm not sure about your level of expertise, but I must tell you that the way your friend hooked the SATA drive to the USB port is just plain impossible as they use different communication to talk to the mother board. I believe your friend was pulling your leg. The real problem that is obvious to me is that you have spent alot of TIME and money to fix your computer while you have a mother board that is outdated by 5 to 7 years.Why don't you go out in your back yard in the vacinity of the Koi pond and dig up one of the many coffee cans of communion money you have buried in the ground and do yourself and the rest of the world a favor and buy a factory ready and tested DELL computer and be done with all of this nonsense. Keep in mind you can probably offset some of the cost of the new computer by E-BAYing some of the junk you have purchased. In addition you should contemplate changing hobbies from computer building to something more befitting for you such as, let's say perhaps target shooting maybe? You know since you exhibit little to no knowledge of the inner workings of a P.C.
    Well,anyway, good luck with your overwellming situation and please do not hestitate to ask for any further advice.
    HAPPY COMPUTING !!!!!!

My friend used the emergency drive copy cable from I purchased this item also and was able to read and write to any of the hard drives that I have. I also have spent many hours target shooting and wouldn't think twice at shooting at 600 yards or further. My idea of building a computer, instead of buying a Dell as you suggest, is a good way to see what makes them tick. Is this how you you got your computer from Dell because you don't know how to build one?