Thread: Suggestions for cheap Internet download box

Suggestions for cheap Internet download box

Need suggestions for a cheap box to be assembled for the purpose of making it a box to download torrents, http downloads and some very light surfing.

I have an old box which doesn't boot. (4 years old) The RAM, SMPS, cabinet etc seemed to be fine last I checked. The motherboard or processor seem to need replacement - I was not able to decide which part has gone bad. Should I use the existing components to build something (with replacements for faulty parts) or is it better to start from scratch?

There appears to be an atom motherboard + processor combo for Rs. 3500/- Anybody has any experience with it?

I need something cheap which will not need expensive maintenance. Planning to junk parts as and when they go bad and replace them. I don't have an air conditioned space to keep the box and will be running it 24/7.

Please give me your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Re: Suggestions for cheap Internet download box

Instead of using the atom processor, i would suggest you use the older box that you already have... Processors are less likely to be damaged, it will be the board if the problem lies in one of them. Also you don't need an Air Conditioned room for a normal PC running 24x7. Although to avoid any risk, just replace the stock fan with a new one... All the best...