Thread: Disable core i7 hyperthreading on Windows XP

Disable core i7 hyperthreading on Windows XP

I want to deactivate core i1 hyperthreading in the bios to play a game that saw only 4 cores.

Basically, will I really lose performance in games by turning off while knowing that I'm on XP?

Or can I make it automatically turns off the launch of the game in question?

Re: Disable core i7 hyperthreading on Windows XP

An idea:

Combine the process of the game with the CPU 0 2 4 6 and leave your hyperthreading.

In this way, the game does works than 4 cores, but the CPU will handle rotate the treads on the 8 (which are only software).

Quote Originally Posted by Marthaz View Post
    An idea:

Combine the process of the game with the CPU 0 2 4 6 and leave your hyperthreading.
    And how do you do this? Is it serious to have to disable hyperthreading? Does that risk of heating more/less? Eat more / less?

Then you open the Windows Task Manager when you play, and you find the process associated to the game

Right click on the process, and you search "set affinity"

Then you uncheck the cores you want (by 1 3 5 7).

Normally you will see the use of these cores fall, but with the CPU hyperthreading optimizes the "filling" of each core, the cores "logic" will not be at 0%.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthaz View Post
    Then you open the Windows Task Manager when you play, and you find the process associated to the game

Right click on the process, and you search "set affinity"

Then you uncheck the cores you want (by 1 3 5 7).

Normally you will see the use of these cores fall, but with the CPU hyperthreading optimizes the "filling" of each core, the cores "logic" will not be at 0%.
    According to the Intel specs, the physical cores are the first, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, time for P4 hyperthreading, they were not met, and you find yourself with anything in terms of order. You can not be proud.

Not exactly, hyperthreading Technology is a physical core appears as 2 cores to the OS. But the hyperthreading will optimize the filling of the cores to "split" the applicant or by cutting 2 process at the same time for all the transistors operate.

So by selecting 0 or 1, it does not change anything because the CPU will send some of the work to one or the other, and fully automatically.

I take as evidence my experience on my P4 hyperthreading, and from what I saw at Intel is always the same principle.